Thursday, February 28, 2013

Throwback Thursday - February 28th

This last week, I took a little trip down memory lane and was reminiscing about the rock that I grew up on. Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Cold, Creed, Disturbed, and others just to name a few. For this week's throwback, I decided to choose the song "Suffocate" by Cold, off their 2003 album Year Of The Spider. This song is one of my favorites off of the album, which is also one of my favorite albums to listen to. Besides the childhood memories it brings back, it is a fantastic rock record, with varying types of songs and emotions throughout. Suffocate is a song that's on the more angry end of the spectrum, but it is also tinged with sounds of regret and sadness. The vocalist, Scooter Ward, sings of a lover or friend who is condescending, judgmental, and not understanding in the slightest. The instrumental helps reinforce these themes, with a gritty tone that is not too distorted. It's angry, but in a way that allows you to hear the story and not be turned off by the song being overly aggressive. I listened to this song many times when I was angry as a kid growing up, and still use it today if I'm mad about something going on. It's a well done song, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes rock from the early 00's.

No comments:

Post a Comment