Friday, February 1, 2013

Five Song Friday - February 1st

Another week has gone by, and more music had made its way into my life! Here's some of the tunes I've been listening to this week.

  1. Swimming Pools (Drank) - Kendrick Lamar
    After being introduced to Kendrick Lamar by my uncle, I listened to a few of his songs. I decided to purchase this song because it's simple, yet catchy. I really enjoy the intro, and Kendrick Lamar's raps were highlighted with speed and clarity. The instrumental was solid as well, with great beats and a dark undertone. The bass was probably my favorite part because of it's low & intense feel. Recommended for fans of Kanye West, J. Cole, and Lupe Fiasco. 4/5
  2. Lion - Hollywood Undead
    A friend of mine let me have a copy of Hollywood Undead's latest CD this last week, and I gave it a listen since I had already previously purchased some of their music. I wasn't terribly impressed by most of the songs, but this one stood out to me. Something about the overall sound caught my ear. Whether it was the chorus or the general vibe, I thoroughly enjoyed the song. I also enjoyed that HU didn't swear in the song, which is not something I mind, but it's nice when an artist can make a great song without cursing. The instrumental of the song contributed to the darker ballad vibe of the song. It was a rock song to the core, with gritty guitars and crashing drums. Definitely a great song for those who like My Darkest Days, Saving Abel, and Saliva. 5/5
  3. In The Morning - J. Cole
    J. Cole made the list again this week, this time with a much different type of song. In The Morning is a more "romantic" song, if you will. The mood set by the instrumental is definitely one for couples, but the lyrics are a bit offsetting. Drake's appearance was a nice addition to the track,  although his line "things I can do with lotion" is a bit vague and discerning. Overall, however, the song is quite addicting and will get stuck in your head. Recommended to fans of Drake and Kendrick Lamar. 4/5
  4. Yolo (feat. Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar) - The Lonely Island
    I just can't seem to get this song out of my head. The Lonely Island has done it again, creating an incredibly catchy song with hilarious raps and great guest stars. If you have heard any of their previous material and enjoyed it, then you will definitely like this one. 5/5
  5. Drunk In The Woods - Walk The Moon
    Walk The Moon is another group who made the list again, but this time with a B-side from their debut album. This song is absolutely fantastic; it begins with a sweet synth line that is backed by smashing drums and some slightly distorted guitar. The vocals are probably my favorite part; they  soar high and hover low, and fuel the energy of the song. It's one of those songs that makes you want to jump up and down or nod your head to the beat. Great for fans of Young The Giant, Passion Pit, and Imagine Dragons. 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment