Friday, February 22, 2013

Five Song Friday - February 22nd

Yet another Friday is here, and another installment of Five Song Friday! This week was a more pop oriented week, thanks to listening to the radio one day during the week. Listen to what I've been hooked on this week, and see if any of the songs tickle your fancy.


  1. Scream & Shout (feat. Britney Spears) - will.i.am
    I first heard this song last Friday on the radio, I was somewhat skeptical  It seemed a little odd to me. However, by the end of the song, I noticed myself singing along with the chorus. It's catchy. I had noticed the song floating around the top 10 on iTunes for the last few weeks, but had never bothered to listen, mainly because it featured Britney Spears. I made a judgement call, and found myself in error after buying the song and listening to it many times this last week. The song is a great dance song, with a driving beat and sweet synth lines. I can imagine it's a hit in clubs, and probably will be for a while. 5/5
  2. Where Have You Been - Rihanna
    I liked this song when I first heard it, specifically for the chorus and the instrumental right after each one. The sound used for the synth line is unique, and was what hooked my on the song from the beginning. The rest of the song is fairly catchy, but I mainly just like listening for that one synth line. It's another great dance song, and I'm sure it's also popular in clubs currently. 4/5
  3. Started From The Bottom - Drake
    Some of Drake's songs are good; some aren't so great. This song falls in the first category. Now, if you listen, don't expect anything profound or incredibly creative. It's a modern hip-hop song; it's got a repeating piano line, a beat with a deep bass drum, and rapping. Nothing genre breaking, but it's got a sense of swagger to it. It also has a fair amount of swearing, so I wouldn't recommend it to those of you who don't enjoy that. Drake did a good job on this song though. I like his raps, and specifically like the "bridge" where he does his half singing/half rapping thing. Overall, a good rap song, recommended for fans of Lil Wayne, Tyga, and Wiz Khalifa. 4/5
  4. Rebel Beat - The Goo Goo Dolls
    I have to give credit to my girlfriend, Lauren, for getting me into The Goo Goo Dolls. She knew that this song was coming out before I did, and told me to look it up. I thoroughly enjoy it, with it's upbeat and appealing nature. It has a positive feel to it, and fits in the vein of what The Goo Goo Dolls have done in their career. It has a pop sound, but it has an organic, natural feel; not stuffed full of synthesizers and electronic beats. That's one of the reasons that their songs are considered pop, yet are still popular years after their release, which is not what the current formula for most pop songs is today. They put out quality songs with thought out lyrics and well built instrumentals. Definitely a song I'll be listening to for a while. I'd recommend it to fans of The Goo Goo Dolls, along with those of you who like Lifehouse and Train. 5/5
  5. If I Lose Myself - OneRepublic
    OneRepublic has captured my attention since they appeared on the scene thanks to Timbaland's influence. Their sound has been a great one to watch the progression, going from a more acoustic/alternative sound to a heavily pop influenced sound. I don't think that is a bad thing; a band's sound will naturally change and adapt to what they're listening to and what direction they want to take their music. This song in particular is an indicator of the pop influence, with a presence of synth lines, electronic beats, and a bit of autotune evident in the vocals. This is not necessarily a bad thing, for it fits the vibe of the song. My favorite part of the song is the bridge, where they use gang vocals and an acoustic guitar to bring the song down for a few seconds and create contrasting aspects of the song. It's another solid hit from OneRepublic, and I look forward to the new album, Native, expected to release March 26th of this year. I'd recommend it to fans of The Fray, Maroon 5, and The Script. 5/5





No comments:

Post a Comment