Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up) - Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy is back. And back with a bang. Monday morning was an explosion of news, with a tour and album announcement, along with releasing a new single. Excitement from fans was off the charts, and even though I wasn't a huge fan, I shared in the excitement. I very much enjoyed some of their material, especially From Under The Cork Tree and Infinity On High. I found the new single as soon as I could, and began to listen. I was surprised by what I heard, but not at the same time. After listening to the progression in their previous albums, it was only natural to arrive at this point. Keeping in the tradition of long and odd song titles, "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" begins with a Kanye West style hip-hop swagger. It took me off guard at first, but I very quickly started nodding my head with the beat and grinned. When Patrick Stump comes in, his vocals have an intensity that I feel has never really shown in any of FOB's previous songs. It felt raw, and added to the energy of the song. The lyrics themselves were angry as well, directed maybe at an old lover or a dear friend who had committed a betrayal  The chorus is the most catchy part of the song, in my opinion, and keeps it simple but great. I especially love the part where the vocals scream "I'm on fire!", helping to fuel the emotions of the song. The drums are fantastic, really creating the hip-hop/tribal feel of the song. This song was a perfect comeback piece for FOB, and it makes me very excited to hear the rest of the album. It's dark, it's edgy, yet it's driving and makes you want to sing along. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment