Friday, March 1, 2013

Five Song Friday - March 1st

It's that time again; the lastest installment of Five Song Friday is here! This week's listening has been different, with a wide variety of genres and styles. I hope you enjoy, and discover something you like!

  1. What You Wanted - OneRepublic *
    I purchased this song at the same time as "If I Lose Myself", another song by OneRepublic which was included in last week's Five Song Friday. I've been listening to it these last few weeks, and I'm really impressed with it. It has an epic sound to it with the drums and the echoing vocals, but the lyrical content is meaningful and touching. Ryan Tedder sings sweetly about the many things he would do for the one he loves. Lines like "I'll be the dawn on your worst night", and "I'll put your poison in my veins" reveal a passion and caring for someone, but only if it's what they, (the lover or friend), want. Besides the lyrics, however, it's an epic and catchy chorus that brings the listener in. The drums are the driving point, continually pushing the energy of the song. Definitely makes me excited for the rest of the album, Natives, to be released on March 26th. 5/5
  2. KABOOM! - I Fight Dragons
    I Fight Dragons is one of the most unique bands I've had the privilege of seeing live. They opened for the Too Fast For Love tour that featured 3OH!3, Cobra Starship, and Travie McCoy. They did a fantastic job, and I was honored to be able to meet them and get a signed CD. They are an alternative/rock band, but are different in the fact that they incorporate NES and SNES sounds into their music. It creates a twist to the the normal formula for a modern rock band, and makes them stand out. I just recently discovered that their debut CD is available for FREE to download on their website, and was eager to hear it all. I think it's a spectacular debut album. This song in particular was one that stuck out to me, because it's a little more gritty than their songs usually get. It's very catchy though, and I thoroughly enjoy it. The harmonies in this song, (and in most of their songs in general), are top notch. It's another reason the band sticks out to me. So if you like alternative/rock and video games, this game is a perfect match. 5/5
  3. Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore - The Young Dubliners
    With St. Patrick's Day coming up, I have started to incorporate my Irish tunes into my listening material again. I discovered this song by The Young Dubliners, one of my favorite Irish rock groups. This song is one that is more laid back for them, but is a great song nonetheless. The instrumentation is simple, with just acoustic guitar, violin, and vocals carrying the song. Singer Keith Roberts's voice is one of my favorite to listen to, especially because of his accent. It makes everything sound awesome. If you like Celtic Rock, such as Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly, then these guys are worth your time. 5/5
  4. Now - Paramore
    This song is back on the list; I just can't get enough of it. I absolutely love the edgy and darker sound Paramore went for, and can't wait to hear more of the album. They took elements of their last record, Brand New Eyes, and combined it with their previous work. The band has gone through a lot in the last few years, and I am proud of the way they have handled everything and come out stronger. This is a fantastic song for anyone who likes Paramore. Or good music in general. 5/5
  5. Born To Reign - Will Smith
    Now, this song is a bit of a throwback, considering the CD came out in 2002. Will Smith hasn't done anything musically since 2005, but I grew up on his albums and always love throwing his songs on. He may not have the "coolest" sounds going on or "thumping" bass on his songs, but what he writes is real and truthful. He directs a lot of raps at the current stars of Hip-Hop, and talks about how they've made a choice to rap about meaningless objects and degrading women. One line from this song in particular that I love is "Your hand is a sword and the blade has been forged, young minds gettin gorged, States have been altered by liquor, by weed and then hate gets exalted as art falls to greed". These words ring true in today's culture, and I believe this is something that we need to be reminded of. Will Smith is one of my favorite artists for the messages that he sends and the realism in his music. 5/5

*I could not find a YouTube video link for this song, my apologies






No comments:

Post a Comment