Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Phoenix - Fall Out Boy

When Fall Out Boy announced that they were back, I never imagined they would come back with such in-your-face music. It began with "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light It Up))", but is even more prevalent in "The Phoenix".  This song sounds like something you would hear in a movie trailer (and you probably will). The strings going throughout the song give it this epic feel, layered over thumping beats and gritty guitars. It's got a pop influence, but is rock n' roll through and through. People may argue with that statement (and they have the right to, it's their opinion), but I stand by it because rock was supposed to be something that was rebellious and unafraid to try new things. Fall Out Boy knows that times have changed since they were last in the game; they're not afraid to take their old sound and revamp it, give it a little edge. I personally love this new direction that they've taken, and I know more people besides me do. I can't get over Patrick Stump's newfound vocal sound; he sounds like he has a serious vendetta against whoever these songs are about. His voice has this intensity that I have never heard on any of FOB's previous work. It's refreshing; a break from the smooth sounding vocals that everyone in the pop scene has been putting out (not to say I don't love a beautiful sounding voice). The punch of the electronic sounds with their guitars and drums is a great contrast to the synth-heavy music all over the radios. Props to FOB for coming back with a fire and not being afraid to do things differently. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment