Friday, March 8, 2013

Five Song Friday - March 8th

Here we are again, at yet another Friday. This week has been exciting in terms of my musical discoveries, with AP (Alternative Press) magazine releasing their list of "100 Bands To Listen To In 2013". It's a great article, and there are a lot of fantastic bands I've already discovered thanks to this year's edition.

  1. Back To Life - 3OH!3
    This song is for sure going to be one of my favorites from the group. Not just because of the song, but because of the video as well. It's hilarious, and extremely random (at least it seems like that to me). The song is sure to get good time on radio, and reassuring as to the direction of the rest of the album, Omens. (For my full review of the song, go here). 5/5
  2. Cardboard Houses - Hrvrd
    This is one of the bands I discovered thanks to AP. This song has such contrasting moments, from the verses to the chorus'. The verses have a more chilled out feel, with some mellow lead guitar playing over a southern sounding drum beat. When the chorus hits, however, the whole song expands, as the guitar comes roaring in incredibly fast over breakdown style drumming. The vocal style of Jesse Clasen also contributes to these contrasting sounds, for he sings much softer and with almost a sensuality through the verses, but then howls during the chorus. The listening experience is quite fantastic thanks to all of this, and I thoroughly enjoy it. 5/5
  3. Warning (feat Patricia Lynn) - Air Dubai
    Another band I discovered from the list by AP, Air Dubai is a hip-hop/pop oriented group. They want to combine not only hip-hop, but elements of R&B and jazz to create an unconventional sound. This song in particular is energetic, making the listener want to nod their head along and blast the song in the car (which I plan on doing soon). It has the vibe of being a particularly great fit with movie scenes involving parties, but it would be a song that people would look up after the movie cause it's so catchy. It's unconventionalism adds to its appeal, with the distinction between the rap oriented verses and the pop driven chorus. I'd recommend it for fans of Gym Class Heroes, and Cobra Starship. 5/5
  4. Hearts Go Crazy (Single Mix) - Parachute
    I was extremely excited when I discovered that Parachute had released a new song. When I first listened, however, I was honestly disappointed  It's a much more pop and electronic sound than I expected from Parachute. They have talent, and this is not quite a testament to it. After listening to the song a few times, I began to like it more and more, for the lyrics and vocals are crafted with skill and are fantastic. I still have hope too, because this version is the "Single Mix", and so I'm optimistic that there will be a much more organic version on their new album.  4/5
  5. Sweet Nothing (feat. Florence Welch) - Calvin Harris
    I actually first heard this song being covered by Pentatonix at their live show (for my review, go here). I didn't realize it until I heard the original version a few nights ago from somewhere else in my hall. I pulled out my phone and used Soundhound to identify the song, which I then proceeded to download it and listen a few things. Its meant as more of a dance song, but I was hooked by Florence Welch's vocals. Her voice is one of the greats of our generation, and it is masterfully displayed throughout this song. The chorus gets me every time, drawing me in for another listen like the sip of a cool drink. Compared to her normal work with Florence + The Machine, it may seem like a stretch for her to work with Calvin Harris; however, the man has a good sense of music, for the match is great. His instrumental helps build with the emotions pouring out of Florence's voice, keeping the song upbeat but raw. I haven't listened to much of his work, but I'm thoroughly impressed by this song. 5/5  

No comments:

Post a Comment