Friday, November 29, 2013

Five Song Friday - November 29th

I know it was yesterday, but happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone had a fantastic day of family, food, and good company. I am thankful for a great many things, but I will say that I am thankful for the people who take the time to read my blog. It really means a lot to me, because I greatly enjoy writing about the music I love, and it's fantastic that people enjoy reading about it. Thank you all for the year of blogging so far, and here's to hopefully many more!

So, for this week, it's not really thanksgiving themed, (unless you, like me, are grateful that A Day To Remember finally released their new album on iTunes and Spotify, which in that case it is very thankful for that), but it has some new music I've been listening to, and I'm always thankful for the new tunes I find every day.

  1. Violence (Enough Is Enough) - A Day To Remember
    This song actually leaked quite a while ago, but I have been really excited for the rest of the album because of it. It's got screams, breakdowns, blistering drums and riffs, and the intensity we've all come to expect from A Day To Remember. It's not even the heaviest song on the album, but I think it has a great balance of clean and unclean vocals. It also has a melancholy tone to it, despite the fast pace and gritty nature. I also especially love the breakdown/bridge, which not only changes up the pace, but gets even darker and just simply makes you want to head bang along with the beat because it's just that good. Definitely one of my favorite tracks off the album. 5/5
  2. Minnie - Sleigh Bells
    I've slowly been acquiring the latest album from Sleigh Bells, and this is the next track that I've gotten myself. I really like this one, because it has some great contrast in sounds and styles. The signature guitar starts off the song, roaring in to be joined by a hard-hitting beat. Alexis Krauss has such a striking voice, being able to soar miles high and come down with a low and serious rapping voice. The chorus is fantastic, with the change in tempo and the explosive nature. It can almost come off as hallow at times because of the very small instrumentation, but I think it is very oriented towards their first album, which is what got me hooked on them in the first place. I highly recommend this song if you like groups like Metric, Silversun Pickups, and Death Cab For Cutie. 5/5
  3. Life @ 11 - A Day To Remember
    This is another favorite off of Common Courtesy, thanks to it's great balance of heavy and pop-punk influence. This song reminds me a lot of "Better Off This Way", which is an absolute favorite from the group, and probably why I like this song so much. It is upbeat and fast, but rides a tone of almost sorrow throughout the song. The whole song is really great, but I personally like the bridge the best, which feels a lot bigger than the rest of the song, and has an awesome lead-in. Even though it has a lack of guttural screams, it retains the heaviness within the instrumental, and that's one of the key ingredients in A Day To Remember's success. 5/5
  4. Ho Ho Hopefully - The Maine
    I had to do it. It's after Thanksgiving, and that means Christmas time is here! This is one of my personal favorite Christmas tunes, and it's only been around a few years. The Maine is a stellar band, and this EP was a fantastic set of originals and a cover. This is a more traditional sounding song, and also a very beautiful song. The acoustic guitar is light and pleasant, the vocals are amazing as always, and the synth provides a bit of depth to help create a relaxing, sleigh bell filled listening experience. 5/5
  5. I'm Already Gone - A Day To Remember
    Now, as much as I love A Day To Remember when they get dark and gritty, they also do more acoustic stuff that is incredible. Their new album had multiple tracks like this, which made me very happy, and this track is one of my favorites off the CD. The arrangement of the song was very well done, with the vocals switching between single and gang-style, which I'm always a fan of, and acoustic guitar accented by some clean electric guitar lines. It sounds very pretty, but again has a bit of sad undertones. A Day To Remember does the sound of sadness well, which is not a bad thing at all. This song does not come off as very sad and depressing, however, and makes for a great listen when relaxing. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment