Friday, November 8, 2013

Five Song Friday - November 8th

This week has a bit of a theme to it...*cough cough PENTATONIX cough cough*. Anyways, it was a long week for me personally, but some great music regardless. Check out the songs I've been listening to nonstop, and see what you enjoy.


  1. Daft Punk - Pentatonix
    I absolutely love Pentatonix. They're innovative, talented, crazy creative, and sound fantastic. This song exemplifies their talents spectacularly, with harmonies out of this world, solos showcasing everyone's voices, rumbling bass, and awesome beat-boxing. Not to mention the arraignment of 4 Daft Punk songs all into 4 minutes is insane. It is one of their finest songs to date, and truly reveals their skills so far, and the potential they have to become even better. This song is easily one of my favorites from the new album, and a true joy to listen to. And the music video is killer. Definitely worth checking out. 5/5
  2. Lies Greed Misery (Dirtyphonics Remix) - Linkin Park
    This remix is a combination of grity dance vibes and hip-hop swagger. It is intense, it is booming, and it gets the blood pumping. It builds from the hip-hop beat into a driving drums and bass feel, and it's awesome, the contrasts. I especially love the drop after the second build, with the double time feel; it gets me excited every time I listen. This song adds a lot of intensity that wasn't so present in the original, and makes it great to listen to every time. 5/5
  3. Love Again - Pentatonix
    Another one of my favorites, "Love Again" is an original song by the geniuses in Pentatonix. It embodies the spirit of dance and EDM music today, which seems very out of place in terms of a capella. However, this turned out to be one of the best songs on the album. Mitch leads the vocals on this song, which makes sense because, according to a video the group posted, he is very heavy into the dance and EDM scene, and so he had the best idea of what this song should sound like. I personally love the drop the best, when Avi lays down this incredibly sick-sounding bass-wobble growling that sounds like something you'd hear in an EDM song. They created some noises that I didn't think were possible for just the voices, and I was very impressed by this song. 5/5
  4. Down - Blink-182
    Now, this song will seem random in the mix, but I will have the privilege of seeing Blink-182 perform their Untitled album from start to finish this coming Monday, and this is one of the songs from said album. It also happens to be one of my favorites by the group, and possibly one of my favorite songs of all time. The emotion, the energy, the rawness of this song connects with me. I have listened to this song many times while I felt like my world was broken, or falling apart, and it has helped every single time. This song, and many others on the album, have been instrumental in my teenage years and getting me through rough times, and I am beyond thrilled to be able to hear it live by one of my favorite groups this next week. 5/5
  5. Run To You - Pentatonix
    I didn't know what to expect when Pentatonix said that they would have a ballad on the new album, but the result was more beautiful than I had ever imagined. It is honestly one of the most majestic and incredible pieces I have ever heard, and I cannot get enough of it. It's an original, which astounds me that they could write something this amazing, and it also has no beat-boxing, which is unheard of for the group. It rises beyond anything else they've ever done, and embodies an epic feel that cannot be met by instruments. The entire song is fantastic, but I am in love with the build. It just erupts with raw emotion and a force that gives me chills when I listen, which is unusual for me. It is beautiful; there is no other word that can describe it adequately. If you check out any song this week, please listen to this one. I beg you to. It is amazing. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment