Friday, November 15, 2013

Five Song Friday - November 15th

Busy weeks keep coming, but I keep finding time for music (otherwise, I might go crazy). This week, I had the huge honor of being able to see Blink-182 play their self-titled record for it's 10 year anniversary, and had an absolute blast at the show, (so be on the lookout for a review of it sometime next week). So I've been listening to their stuff a lot, so look for that as well as some other tunes for this week's installment!


  1. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows - Brand New
    I've heard about Brand New before, but never listened to their music until one of my friends gave me an album. This song is one that stuck out for me, and I've been listening to a lot more this past week. I really like the chorus, specifically the instrumental and the way it becomes so much bigger than expected. The guitar line soaring up and down, the gritty distortion, and the crashing drums are all accentuated by the vocals, which have a raw feel to them. The whole album has this not-so-polished sound, which is something you don't hear too often nowadays, and so this song has a great depth to it. I can easily see why this is one of their biggest hits, and look forward to exploring their music even more. 5/5
  2. Always - Blink-182
    This song has always been one of my personal favorites from Blink-182. It has this aggressive, intense nature, yet feels very vulnerable and almost romantic. The song is upbeat, but is prevented from becoming poppy due to the darker undertones, both instrumentally and lyrically. I absolutely love the chorus, which varies between romance and passion, love and lust. This song is easy to lose yourself in, as is much of Blink's music, and it will always be one of my favorites (see what I did there? I'm so clever). 
  3. I Miss You - Blink-182
    Another one of my favorites by Blink, and another that shows off their emotional and mature side. I love being able to jump around and jam out to their stuff, but songs like this are perfect for late night talks, thoughts when you can't sleep, and working in the night. The vocal interplay between Tom and Mark is fantastic in this song, with each bringing their own strengths to the table. Mark is more held back and contemplative, while Tom is raw and passionate, creating some fantastic contrast. The acoustic guitar in this song is such a relaxing sound, as well as the string line that repeats throughout the song. It's definitely one of their best songs, and I was so thankful to get to see them play it. 5/5
  4. Stare At The Sun - Mutemath
    Mutemath was a band that I had previously heard of and had a song by, but was given this album by the same friend who gave me Brand New. Out of the album, this was easily one of my favorites. It's slower, but it has a dark, entrancing sound that keeps drawing me back to it. It has an eerie feel to it, and I haven't really heard anything like it before. The ending is one of by favorite parts, when it cuts to just the drums and vocals, which continue the eerie feel and close out the song in a seemingly sudden manner. Easily one of the best songs on the album. 5/5
  5. Chaos - Mutemath
    This is my favorite song off the album, hands down. It's edgy and fast-paced, getting the blood pumping while you listen. The vocals on this track are fantastic, ranging from polished and smooth sounding to gritty and raw. The instrumental contributes a lot to the darker nature as well, with the drums keeping the pace up as they pound away and the guitars switching from echoing lines to gritty chords. My favorite part is the background vocals that float around during the song, and come through strong at the end, giving the song an ethereal feel that is fantastic. This song is worth checking out if you have't listened before. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment