Friday, December 6, 2013

Five Song Friday - December 6th

Well, it's been a long week, but it's finally Friday. I hope your weeks have been well, and for those of you who are dealing with finals next week/already have, may the odds be ever in your favor. I myself have had a few, plus more next week, and so have been doing a lot of studying, which involves some motivational music to keep me going. Here's some of the songs I've been listening to this week, and since Christmas is rapidly approaching, there's some great classics in the mix as well.


  1. College Kids - Relient K
    Seeing that finals are baring down on us college kids, I thought this song was an appropriate song to include this week. I love the funny, yet serious nature about this song. You end up laughing at most of the things because they're painfully true. Lines like "I'm poor, I'm starving, I'm flat broke" and "Call it torture, call it university" highlight some of the real struggles that face the college student today. But, at the same time, you have to be able to sit back and laugh at it. That's why I enjoy this song, for it channels the fun energy of college but interlaces more serious lyrics. This is a great song for those very desperately needed study breaks. 5/5
  2. Ten Thousand Hours - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    I originally picked this song because I was listening to a lot more Macklemore since I almost had the chance to see him in concert, but then I realized that it would work for this finals situation as well. After all the studying we end up doing, it almost feels like we've been working on these papers and tests for 10,000 hours. Besides that, I genuinely enjoy this song. It is upbeat, has some great lyrics, but also has fantastic contrast thanks to the outro verse. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are geniuses, and I am extremely excited to watch their career as they continue to bring issues to the light of day, but remember to have fun as well. 5/5
  3. White Christmas - Michael Bublé & Shania Twain
    This song is a Christmas classic, and Michael Bublé does a mighty fine job with his own version. I've always liked this song, and Bublé does a great job with making it feel modern, yet retaining that old-school appeal. The addition of Shania Twain to make it a duet is a nice twist, and not something found very often, so it stands out for this reason. I love the jazzy and classic nature of the song, which always works so well for Christmas songs since they're all from that era. If you haven't heard this version, or any of Bublé's Christmas CD, then go now, because you're missing out. 5/5
  4. It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas - Michael Bublé
    It's hard to deny how incredible Michael Bublé's voice is, and this is another song that he just shines on. It's another classic Christmas tune, and Michael Bublé's version will join the ranks of the greats. It opens with a very magical and wintery-sounding opening, bringing you to a snow covered small town in your imagination. The song flows so well, with a very laid-back and relaxing instrumentation that makes you want to curl up by the fire with a good book. I could listen to Bublé's CD for all of Christmas season, and this song is definitely one of my favorites. 5/5
  5. End Of Me - A Day To Remember
    I've been listening to this album a lot, and realizing more and more how great it is. This song is one of my favorites because it combines two elements that I love about ADTR; their hardcore nature, but ability to do acoustic songs so well. It opens with a beautiful picked guitar line and soft and vulnerable vocals, but eventually unfolds into a huge and gritty piece. The bridge is my favorite part, because it revisits the vulnerability found in the beginning, but in a raw and explosive nature that is absolutely stunning. I really enjoy this song, and the whole CD, which is slowly becoming my favorite by the group to date. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment