Friday, December 20, 2013

Five Song Friday - December 20th

Happy Friday all! I hope your weeks went well, and that those of you on break from school have been relaxing from all the hard work. I may have been busy, but I've still had time to find some new music to add to my collection, and some tunes that have been coming up again and again. Check out what I've been listening to, and see what you enjoy.

(Disclaimer: Yes, this is an odd collection of songs. It's a Funky Five Song Friday)

  1. Perfectly Out Of Key - The Maine
    The Maine has been one of my favorites for a few years, and it's been wonderful watching them grow up and mature musically. Putting this song next to some of their early music doesn't even compare. The depth, musicality, and raw vulnerability found in this song is incredible, and hard to find in many other places. John O'Callaghan's falsetto is full of sorrow and regret, with the piano line and subtle synths helping to create this smoky and dark atmosphere. I particularly enjoy the lyrics of this piece, with some stand out and relatable lines floating throughout the song. This EP was a surprise, both in terms of the release of it, and the quality of the work. "Perfectly Out Of Key" is my favorite off the album, and possibly one of my favorite songs by the group. 5/5
  2. Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms
    This has always been one of my holiday favorites, and it gets me in a joyful mood whenever it comes on. It has such an upbeat and cheerful nature about it; I don't know how you wouldn't feel better after listening to it. The vocals are superb, and the guitar gives the song that rocking groove. It's from an era of absolutely fantastic music, and has a timeless air to it. I don't always get the words right when I sing along, but it always brings Christmas to the mind and to the heart, and that's what is important. 5/5
  3. Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    I've been listening to a lot of my music on shuffle lately, but this song has come up consistently. I never really listened to much of these guys growing up, so I've been discovering them more in recent years. It's slow, but I'm definitely taking a liking to them. This song is a more relaxed song, and that works very well for them. I like the laid-back nature, but I also enjoy that it can pick up the energy at times, providing some great contrast. The lyrics, as I've been listening more and more, are much deeper than I imagined, speaking of the consumerism and idolizing of movie stars and greed that can be found here in California. It's a side of the state that some don't like to put in a negative light, but it does have it's problems. However, I very much enjoy the song, and think that it works as both a powerful message and a soothing sound. 5/5
  4. You Won't Know - Brand New
    This album has been coming up a lot in my listening, and I'm growing to like it more and more as I listen, with this song being one of my favorites. It starts off more mellow and chilled out, although the vibe is still definitely dark and almost haunting. Then it kicks into high gear about a minute and a half in, becoming even more dark as well as angsty and raw. The vocals are more of screams than harmonies, and the guitars roar over the crashing of the drums to become a solid wave of sound that hits you and gets you pumped up. I really like the ominous nature of this song, and the record overall; it has an unpolished nature that seems to be slipping from music as of late. I know I'm late to the party on these guys, but it's worth it to get hooked even now. 5/5
  5. Birthday - Katy Perry
    Now, before any judgment is made on this selection, just think about a guilty pleasure you have as far as music goes. Katy Perry is mine, and I think that her stuff is fantastic. It's not the most creative or unique, but it's catchy and fun and sexy and I love it, so just accept it. Once you get past the mainstream aspect, I think this song is pretty great. It's upbeat, it's catchy, and Katy Perry has a great voice that slides over this track. I may be interpreting the song wrong (although I don't think I am), but she definitely comes off as seductive, both lyrically and with her voice, and that is something that works very well for her. I enjoy the instrumentation of this song, with the guitar line and horns giving the tune a retro feel that fits marvelously. The lyrics can be cheesy at times, like the bridge, "Let me get you in your birthday suit, it's time to bring out the big balloons", but pop music is about creating lines and tunes that stick, and that is certainly the case with this song. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment