Friday, December 27, 2013

Five Song Friday - December 27th

 This is it! The final Five Song Friday of the year! I've been doing these for close to a year now, and I love sharing the music I listen to with everyone who reads. So thank you for being interested in what I write, it's what keeps me writing. This week there was a lot to choose from, since I was finally able to buy some songs I wanted thanks to gift cards. So check out what I've been listening to, and see what you like.


  1. Raining In Paris - The Maine
    The Maine is consistent in surprising their listeners with the soul and depth of their songs, and the Imaginary Numbers - EP, was no exception to this. "Raining In Paris" is a beautiful and soft piece about love and romance. The acoustic guitar leads the song, giving it a folky feel while John O'Callaghan sings gently and filled with emotion. The shaker and organ in the chorus add some color and texture, putting contrast in the song. It all comes together to create one of their strongest songs, in my opinion. It creates an atmosphere that is calming and enjoyable. 5/5
  2. Countdown - Dangerkids
    Dangerkids are definitely a band to watch, and this song is another example of their potential. Shamelessly harnessing the influence of Linkin Park, Dangerkids blend metalcore with rap and make it work. This song has breakdowns, it has raps, it has electronic influence and hits hard. Both their clean and unclean vocalists work together like a team, trading off and blending incredibly well. I really enjoy their rapper, who sounds so much like Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park that it's uncanny. Their use of electronics and strings also works together really well, adding more dimensions to their music that set them apart from their fellow hardcore bands. 5/5 
  3. Love Don't Die - The Fray
    This song is different than what The Fray has done in the past, but it works very well in this case. It's upbeat, it's catchy, and it's a bit edgy. The chorus is brighter, but overall it's got a bit of a gritty tone that catches you ear and makes you nod alone. I particularly enjoy how the main guitar line is acoustic, but it still sounds as edgy as an electric guitar. Isaac Slade's vocals are top notch, soaring incredibly high on the chorus and getting low and gritty on the verses. His voice is one of the most distinct in the music business, and one of the reasons why I continue to listen to the band. The backing vocals of the chorus are insanely high, and give it a ethereal emphasis that adds depth to the song that makes it stand out. 5/5
  4. I. Crawl - Childish Gambino
    I had never listened to Childish Gambino before, but I saw that he had a new album out, and decided to check it out to see if it was any good. This song was the stand out, with a raw beat that weaves in and out with the more delicate chorus. Childish Gambino's raps are short, but to the point and explosive. He has good rhythm as well as being lyrically smart. I hadn't planned on really buying anything from the album when I checked it out, but after this song, I might have to check out more of the tracks. 5/5 
  5. Legendary Lovers - Katy Perry
    Again with Katy Perry, I know. But I can't deny that her music is my guilty pleasure, and this song is no exception. With it's Asian influence, it, like the title, takes on a legendary vibe, combining some unique instrumental choices with big booming beats and Katy Perry's killer vocals. I really enjoy the pre-chorus, where she speeds up and the hip-hop influence is most prominent. The chorus is also solid as well, a polished hook that draws you in bit by bit. The song is seductive and mysterious, with its exotic flair catching your interest with every listen. The more I explore Katy Perry's latest album, the more I am seeing how great it is, and how excited I am to find more great songs. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment