Friday, August 2, 2013

Five Song Friday - August 2nd

It's been a busy and crazy week, but I've still had plenty of time to listen to new music. Check out my choices and see if you like them!


  1. Sins Of My Youth - Neon Trees
    I know this song is not really new, but I just recently discovered it while going through my Dad's music, and love the whole album. This song in particular was a stand out, with it's catchy chorus and grooving instrumental. It makes you want to nod your head along and just have fun. Rock N' Roll is what I would use to describe this tune; it may lean more towards the alternative side, but I believe it has the essence of a rock song, especially in the chorus. The hook, the vocals, the crashing drums, the bass jamming along, it all comes together to make a fantastic song. 5/5
  2. Dammit - Blink-182
    Blink-182 has been, and always will be one of my favorites. I also rediscovered this song when digging through my Dad's CDs. This song has classic Blink written all over it. It's punk at its core, from the grungy guitar to Travis pounding on the drums. I loved this one when I was younger, and I love it just as much now. Even though it is upbeat and catchy, the lyrical material always came off to me as more serious than the music let on. It seems carefree, yet talks about how growing up is not nearly as fun as it's made out to be, which I am finding to be more and more true every day. All seriousness aside though, go listen to it. 5/5
  3. Set The Fire - UTKF
    I discovered this great punk band on the great and wonderful Tumblr, and I am quite glad for it. I snagged this song and a few others from the album for free, which I am always grateful for, and have been listening to this song the most. I've been getting into more punk lately, and I really like the energy behind it. The drums are always pushing, the guitars are always gritty, and the vocals add to the not-so-polished punk sound. This band has some potential, for sure, so I recommend checking them out for yourself. 4/5
  4. Voice of Truth - Casting Crowns
    I bought this song this week because I'm helping perform it at my church this week, and thought I should get to know it better. I discovered I like this song more than I thought, for it's message and its composition. I've heard it previously, but never enough to really hear what it was talking about, and now I'm glad I've had the chance. It is a really powerful message, about how in the rush and craze of life, we can get caught up listening to the wrong voices, that put us down and tell us to give up. We really need to listen to God, and his voice that guides us. 5/5
  5. Hurricane - Parachute
    Parachute is a fantastic band. They have an incredible amount of talent, creativity, and a spark that fuels some great music. They have an album, titled Overnight, releasing August 13th. "Hurricane" is the second single from the album, and by far my favorite. It is sincere, it's heartfelt, and it's Parachute at its core. Some people will complain that it is too pop-sounding, and that they used too many electronic instruments, but I think that this sound change is a natural progression of their sound. It's not like they are using these pop elements to cover for a lack of talent; go watch any of their acoustic videos, and see the talent that is overflowing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment