Friday, August 23, 2013

Five Song Friday - August 23rd

To start of this post, I'd like to apologize for not posting last week. It was a really busy time for me, with my family moving, and I didn't get the chance to write up a Five Song Friday. So, to make it up to you readers, I have decided to do a special Five Song Friday, which will actually consist of 10 songs. I know, so exciting. But really, I wanted to make up for last week, and figured this would be a good way to. Plus, I easily have 10 songs I can talk about, so it works for me.


  1. Bloody Poetry - Grieves
    Grieves is an artist I've been listening to lately, and I continue to find this I love about his work. His lyrics, his flow, his choice for instrumentals; they're all fantastic. He has a definite jazz influence, especially evident on this track, with the trumpet solo interludes, the brushed drums backing them, and the jazzy piano continually going in the background. He doesn't rap about stupid things either, his lyrics are smart, clever, and well delivered. He knows what he's doing, and his confidence comes off very well. I also like that he can sing as well, which is not a trait common among today's rappers. He is doing his own thing, and I very much respect him for it. 5/5
  2. Hopeless Wanderer - Mumford & Sons
    Now, I have to admit that I hadn't really heard this song until Mumford & Sons released the video for it, which is absolutely fantastic; I highly recommend watching it (there's a link here). It has the soul of their sound, with the soft piano intro leading into the explosive guitar, bringing in the rest of the band to make a great song. I personally love the vocals the most; I think Marcus Mumford's voice is one of the best currently out there. He has a rasp, yet can sing so smoothly. All in all, a great track. I highly recommend it. 5/5 
  3. PTL - Relient K
    When I first heard some of the songs off of Relient K's latest album, Collapsible Lung, I was sceptical about the gravitation towards a more pop sound. However, once I heard this song, I was immediately in love. It retains the alternative feel that Relient K mastered, yet seamlessly incorperates the new pop sound they're trying out. I especially love the guitar on the verses; something about the way the strings are being hit is so satisfying. I also love the contrast between the verses and the chorus, with the steady drum and muted guitar backing the verses, and the synth coming in along with a more roaring guitar on the chorus. If you're skeptical about the album like I was, then check out this track and see what you think after. 
  4. Lonely Girl - Tonight Alive
    Tonight Alive gets lots of Paramore comparisons, which I object to because that's just stupid. The fact that they have a female lead singer does not make them Paramore. If one listens to the music, you'll notice that Tonight Alive falls more into the punk-pop vein, whereas Paramore is an alternative-rock band with pop influences. Anyways, the song; it's the second single from TA's upcoming album, The Other Side, and based off of the sound from both songs, I'm fairly excited about the direction it appears to be taking. I'm sure there will be more light-hearted songs, but I think TA is at their best when they get gritty and grimy with their music. "Lonely Girl" is on the darker side, with some grungy guitars and driving drums. I particularly enjoy the brief moment after the bridge, where the song is going back into the chorus, and they change up the instrumental to where the guitars hit fast and the drums switch up. I don't know exactly how to describe why I like it so much, but it almost has swagger to it. It's a very cool moment, and I enjoy it, along with the rest of the song. I look forward to the rest of the album! 5/5
  5. Harlem - New Politics
    I discovered this indie-alternative jam thanks to an awesome radio station in San Diego. I've heard some of their previous work, but this song was infectious, and had me hooked. Lyrically, I have no clue what he's singing about, but I very much like the vibe of the song, and it's upbeat nature. Music doesn't always need to be so serious; as much as I like meaningful songs, it's good to let loose and have some fun. This song is short, it's flashy, and great for a drive around town with friends as you sing at the top of your lungs. Definitely a great buy. 4/5
  6. Legacy - Memphis May Fire
    I've been buying this album, Challenger, slowly and song by song, but every one is fantastic. They each tell a different story, and this track has one of my favorite messages. It's uplifting, and done flawlessly. The whole song speaks of believing in yourself and how important it is, despite all the opposition that will come along. However, the moment where the song comes across as incredibly powerful is when it all fades out, and the bridge slowly comes in. The lyrics alone are inspirational, but when screamed out and backed by an increasingly epic-sounding instrumental, it gives you chills. Matty Mullins is currently one of my favorite frontman, for his talent and versatility, which I think is showcased greatly on this song. Go check it out. 5/5
  7. Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood
    I've known about this song for a while, but I finally bought it this past week, and I don't regret it at all; it's a great song. I love the laid back nature, Jesse Rutherford's vocals, and the gloomy, yet upbeat sound the song inspires. I know that probably sounds weird, but if you listen to the song, it'll make sense. I love the contrast between the hard-hitting drum beat and the flowing guitar lines and synths; it creates different textures that play with each other throughout the song. As usual, the bridge is one of my favorite parts, where the style of the song switches up and an acoustic guitar line takes lead of the song and leads into an alternative chorus. All in all, a great song. 5/5
  8. Crew Cuts (feat. Xperience) [Jake One Remix] - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    I'm definitely a Macklemore fan by now, and continue to find songs that I absolutely love, like "Crew Cuts". It's a homage to all things 80's, and both of the rapper's experience growing up during that time. The beat and instrumental is not typical for Macklemore, which is why I think I like it. It's a slower tempo, and not so high energy. I really enjoy Xperience's part; he has some talent, and I intend to check out more of his stuff. Macklemore has an immense amount of talent and creativity, and I can't wait to see what he does in the future. 5/5
  9. This Is Gospel - Panic! At The Disco
    I've incredibly pumped for this album. Panic! is back, and back with a bang. Their new album, Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die!, drops in October, but they've already released 2 singles, both of which reveal the direction and sound of the album. I have heard some interesting comments in terms of insperation for the album, which included artists such as A$AP Rocky. Not what I'd normally expect, but Panic! has never been the most normal of bands. Now, the song itself is fantastic. The intro, with the overlaying vocals, and the heartbeat drum, unfolds into a huge sound, filled with electric guitars and banging beats. The vocals and lyrics are my favorite part of the song. Brendon Urie, the lead vocalist, has a very unique voice, and one that I love listening to. His range is killer, sinking low into the depths and soaring high into the clouds. If the song is an indication of what's to come for the rest of the album, then it's going to be a huge hit. 5/5
  10. Tornado (Kill The Noise Remix)  [feat. Polina] - Steve Aoki & Tiesto
    I found this song last night after doing some research into Steve Aoki and his music. Linkin Park and him are collaborating on a song soon, and being the Linkin Park fan that I am, I wanted to see what Steve Aoki's work was like prior to hearing the full new song. This was his top selling song, and I can see why. It's some great electronic music, containing dubstep elements, but not being completely overpowered by them. The vocals by Polina are a great touch; female vocals always work very well over dance/electronic. The song contains all the elements you'd expect from an electronic song, such as build ups and drops, but it doesn't come across as boring or typical. I'm excited to hear what Steve Aoki and Linkin Park have cooked up; it's sure to be a great collaboration. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment