Saturday, August 10, 2013

Five Song Friday - August 9th

So, today's (yesterday, sorry I'm late!) FSF is going to be a little different. In honor of my mom's birthday, I've asked her for a list of 5 of her favorite songs. I'm going to review/discuss them like normal, and you guys get to see what kind of musical taste my mom has. Happy Birthday mom!


  1. Points of Authority - Linkin Park
    This song is one of my childhood favorites, and one of my mom's favorites as well. She even went as far as to say she thinks it is "the song of the year of forever". It really is a fantastic song, with the crunching guitar over hip-hop influenced drum beat, all while Mike and Chester go back and forth with their rapping and singing interplay. That was one of the things that always stood out to me about the band, and something I continue to love to this day. I've listened to this song since it released; that's 13 years of knowing this song, and this entire album, for that matter. It will always be one of my favorites, and my mom's as well, for she was the one who introduced me to it. 5/5
  2. Almost Over - Limp Bizkit
    Results May Very is one of the defining albums of my childhood, and my mom and I are in agreement that it is one of the best albums we know. This song in particular is one of the more meaningful songs on the album, something that I think Limp Bizkit actually does very well. It chronicles Fred Durst's journey growing up, and the struggles and events that made him the man he is today. Not to mention that the song itself is catchy. The album was released during the height of the days of Nu-metal, a genre I grew up on and will always have a special place for. The traces are evident all over this song, and that's one of the many reasons I love it. 5/5
  3. Panama - Van Halen
    You can't go wrong with some classic VH. This song is a perfect driving song, rocking out with the windows down and the volume up. It's a classic 80's song, with Eddie's fantastic guitar work, and the rest of the band pumping out the tunes to make this piece of rock. David's vocals were prime, back when he could make his voice soar. If you like music, period, this song is an essential. 5/5
  4. Sexyback - Justin Timberlake
    Yes, my mom loves JT, and I do too. You can't deny his catchiness, and his aptitude for making quality music. This song gets you going; dancing is required while listening. And even though this song is 7 years old (wow), it still rocks like it came out yesterday. The pulsing beat, the simple synth, and JT's voice, floating all over the place. One of his best works. 5/5
  5. Manifesto - The City Harmonic
    Now, this song is a departure from the previous tunes, but a great song nonetheless. It is a Christian group, but they manage to give it a more edgy twist than the music you hear on the radio. Not only is it more edgy, it also has more talent and hardwork put in then a lot of the radio music. The band is great, their rock sound fueled by gritty guitars and banging drums. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment