Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Miss Jackson (feat. Lolo) - Panic! At The Disco

This single being released came as somewhat of a surprise; I knew that Panic was releasing an album this year, but they hadn't been too generous with details. Nevertheless, I was very excited, to say the least. The minute I found it, I watched part of the music video for it, and immediately went and bought it to listen to in the car. I probably listened to it 10 times the day it released; it's very addictive. Now, I know that some fans will dismiss this song, and possibly the album, because of the sound change, but it's to be expected. Panic worked with the same producer that Fall Out Boy worked with on Save Rock and Roll, so the progression towards a more pop-influenced sound is expected. Besides, it's not like they've never strayed towards that sound before on their previous material either. While I do think it has more pop influence than before, it also is a gritty kind of pop; it's not all smooth synths and big electronic beats. They achieve a big sound on the chorus thanks to an actual drum set and distorted guitar lines. The contrast through this song is fantastic; the chorus is huge, and the verses are much more stripped down. The first verse is actually one of my favorite parts of the song, as well as the pre-chorus, which is also fairly stripped down. The verse wins point for having a sweet bass line, although it's palm muted. The bass is easily heard throughout the whole song, which is something that always makes me happy. I also love Brenden Urie's vocals, which have always been a highlight of Panic's work. They soar high, and the float low, adding to those contrasts you all know I love.

Overall, I think this is a really solid single, and if it's any indication of the direction of the new album, then it makes me even more excited for it's release in October. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment