Friday, July 12, 2013

Five Song Friday - July 12th

The weeks keep flying by, don't they? It's another week, and more music to talk about! Check it out and see what you think of my selections for the week, some of which have already graced the Five Song Friday series...


  1. Block Party - Will Smith
    This song is a throwback for sure, but was brought to my attention by my best friend recently. Since then, I've been blasting it wherever I go, and absolutely loving it. Will Smith has always been one of my favorite rappers, even if he hasn't released anything lately, and this song is a great selection from his vast repertoire. It's a relaxed song, but would easily work at a summer party. Will knows how to make good party music, and this song is no exception. The beat is grovin, and even though it's 11 years old, it still is just cool, plain and simple. Go listen, and let your mind go back to times when things were more simple, and less complicated. 5/5 
  2. Bright Lights - 30 Seconds to Mars
    This album has been out for almost 2 months now, and this song has been playing in my car, my phone, and my computer constantly. It's my favorite from the record, and is rising in the ranks of my favorite songs period. It definitely has an 80's sound to it, thanks to the drums style and the synths going on throughout the tune. Jared Leto's vocals are the best part about it though, with his switch from a raspy low almost-whisper to shouting out at the top of his lungs. The lyrics paint a fantastic picture, of people searching for something. What that something is, I don't know, but the song makes it seem like the adventure of searching for it is extraordinary. 5/5
  3. Can't Stop - OneRepublic
    This album has been out for about 3 months, if my memory is correct, and I seriously can't stop listening to this song (see what I did there? I'm so funny...). There's this mood to the tune that I can't shake; it's haunting and soulful. Ryan Tedder, the lead vocalist for the group, pours his heart straight into this song, for the emotion bleeds out of the speakers and into the listener. He is crying out to his lost love, the one he can't get out of his head. It is a beautifully written song, and has a huge sound to it, thanks mainly to the resounding drums and the soaring vocals. It's easily the best song off the album, so go get it already! 5/5
  4. Book of Love - Jimmy Eat World
    I continue to be hooked on Jimmy Eat World's latest record, which is easily one of my favorite albums of the year. This song in particular is one of the more mellow tracks instrumentally, but, as with the rest of the album, some extremely heartfelt lyrics and vocals. This is definitely a breakup/relationship album, and it is all very realistic. I especially love the big incorporation of acoustic guitar in this song, which I think is a strong point for Jimmy Eat World. They are at their best when the music is stripped down, nothing fancy or complex. This song contains the essence of who JEW is, and that they can still put out fantastic music after all these years together. 5/5
  5. Remedy - State Champs
    I got this song from a free sampler I discovered, and have been listening to it more and more lately. It's the kind of song that makes you want to dance around and nod your head to the beat (which I may or may not be doing as I write this...). I would classify it as pop-punk, which is a genre I have been trying to explore more and more this year. The song overall is catchy, upbeat, and very enjoyable to listen to. My favorite part would have to be the bridge, where they repeat the line "Well I've got no time" as they slowly build the song back up. They just rock out and have fun making the music, which comes off strongly. I definitely recommend it if you like bands like The Story So Far, Major League, and Man Overboard. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment