Friday, July 19, 2013

Five Song Friday - July 19th

Music, music, music. It's been an exciting week for me, as far as music goes, and I'm excited to write about some new singles that released this week. Check them out, and see what you think!

  1. Miss Jackson (feat. Lolo) - Panic! At The Disco
    I've been waiting for something from Panic ever since I heard they had a new album in the works earlier this week. When this song dropped, I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. It's different, yes, but it's fantastic. It's a bit gritty, it's energetic, and it's catchy. I've been listening to it all week, and I'm liking it even more each time I listen. At its core, it definitely has Panic's vibe, and carries their spirit of being somewhat outlandish and glamorous, yet it'll hook you every time. 
  2. House Of God, Forever - Jon Foreman
    I discovered this song recently, and fell head over heels for it. It's simple, and the lyrics are taken from Psalm 23, which is my one of my favorite passages from the Bible. The music that backs the vocals and the lyrics is immensely relaxing, and the whole song gives me a sense of peace. I especially love that there is a contrast created by the female vocalist, whose voice especially fits with the vibe of the song and adds to the gentle nature of it. I highly recommend it. Highly. 5/5
  3. The City - The 1975
    After discovering these guys from the free single of the week on iTunes, I checked out the rest of their newly released EP, IV, and downloaded this song very quickly. It is upbeat, energetic, and incredibly catchy. Their combination of slightly distorted guitars, bright and large synths, and drumbeats that continue to push the song is infectious; I can't get enough of it. The fact that they are British makes it all the better, although on this song there are moments where the lead singer sounds like William Becket, formerly of The Academy Is. Definitely an up and coming band to keep an eye on. Or ear. 5/5
  4. Take Back The Night - Justin Timberlake
    The man of Pop music is back already, with the lead single for Part 2 of The 20/20 Experience, his fantastic comeback to music. "Take Back The Night" is a big band song, full of horns and a throwback sound remenicent of Michael Jackson. It's got a groove to it, the kind that makes you want to get up and dance around your room. JT has done it yet again, putting out a solid song to lead into what I'm sure will be another marvelous album. 5/5
  5. Do I Wanna Know? - Arctic Monkeys
    I guess I have a little British sub-theme going on here. Arctic Monkey's is a great band that I've listened to here and there the past few years. I noticed that they had this song out as a single for a new album they're releasing, and decided to give it a listen. I was quite impressed. It's definitely got a sultry and sexy sound to it, with the more laid back tempo and stripped down instrumentation. Alex Turner, the lead vocalist, has fantastic vocals for this song, utilizing the lower end of his range for the verses, and putting in some well done falsetto on the chorus. The chorus really brings out the intensity of the song, bringing in some crashing drums and distorted guitar to give the song a slight melancholy sound to it. I definitely like the song, and am going to be interested in how the album turns out. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment