Thursday, May 2, 2013

Five Song Friday - May 3rd

This week has been relatively quiet in terms of releases, but it has been an explosion in my own discovery of new music. Check out what songs I've found this week and been jammin' out to.

Disclaimer: Some of the music this week is Christian, and so I'll be talking a little about my faith and how it relates to the songs. If you aren't comfortable or don't want to read that, then I suggest skipping to the third song this week. Also, if you don't like country music as well, I suggest avoiding this post at all. Just kidding though, please do read!

  1. Cornerstone - Hillsong Live
    I finally purchased this song, but have been hooked on it for the last few months after constantly hearing it at Rockharbor Church, that I've been attending for the last few months. The fire and passion behind this song is incredible, and I'm especially glad that this version is live, because the sound of the audience shouting and screaming along with the words further emphasizes the power of worship music. This song is extremely comforting, and a constant reminder that Jesus is Lord over all; nothing is as huge as the vast God. We need this reminder to turn to him as our solid rock in times of suffering and waves of problems. I also enjoy the driving nature of this song; it's a perfect pump-up for when you need a reminder that God has your back and will help you through everything. 5/5
  2. Crown Him (Majesty) [feat Kari Jobe] - Chris Tomlin
    This song is a beautiful song; growing from a simple piano line to a full and fierce sound of drums crashing and strings soaring. The way that the vocals and the chords work together is also fantastic, slowly rising higher and higher until they erupt into the chorus. The addition of Kari Jobe for vocals was also a spectacular choice in further building the epic feel of the song. Chris Tomlin is one of my favorite Christian artists out there today; he writes absolutely fantastic worship pieces that I know will be played for years and years to come. 5/5
  3. Banjo - Rascal Flatts
    This week, I've been in a country mood. I think it might be the weather and school being over, but I can't get enough of that sweet country music. This song is one of my favorites that I've discovered, with that great southern banjo and the country twang in Gary LeVox's voice. I also like the rock that drives the chorus, since I was raised on rock and have always loved it. I can't help feeling good when I listen to this song; it makes me want to hop in a pick-up truck and find a country concert in the middle of nowhere to go and rock out. I also really enjoy the strings in this song; they have that southern sound, but are also really aggressive and powerful. Definitely a great song if you love country music. 5/5
  4. Sure Be Cool If You Did - Blake Shelton
    I already had a few songs by Blake Shelton, but managed to discover this song while listening to a country station on the way home from church. It leans a little more towards the pop side in terms of the verses and the beat, but definitely has a country feel with Blake Shelton's voice and the slide guitar in the chorus. I really enjoy the laid back nature of this song, it's relaxing yet catchy. I know this will be a great song to blast in my truck on those warm summer nights with the windows down and the volume cranked up. I also recommend this song as a good choice for anyone looking to start listening to country music. 5/5
  5. Anywhere With You - Jake Owen
    I also had a song by Jake Owen, "Barefoot Blue Jean Night", which is an excellent song and I recommend it to all of you, but I also discovered this song on the radio. It is a cute song, talking about just taking off and going wherever the girl wants to go. I can absolutely picture myself and mu girlfriend doing something like this and seeing the U.S. state by state. I love traveling, and so this song speaks to me. It also helps that the chorus is extremely catchy, especially when he sings "have you ever seen California?". It's another kick-back song, and makes me just want to relax and enjoy life. I've discovered that country music makes me want to just enjoy what I have and remember how great my life is. Go listen to it! 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment