Friday, April 26, 2013

Five Song Friday - April 26th

The crazy amount of releases has been slowing down in the last few weeks (thankfully for my school work), but I have still found some new music and revisiting some old favorites. Here's the songs I've been listening to this week!


  1. Recovery - Frank Turner
    I only had "I Am Disappeared" by Frank Turner before his new album, Tape Deck Heart, released this week. I gave some of the songs a listen, and found I enjoyed quite a few, including "Recovery". It's upbeat, it's very catchy, and it's British. What can be better than that? In all seriousness, (although I was serious about that last statement), it is a really great song, and makes me want to listen to more of his work. I also love the contrast from the beginning, where it's acoustic, to the sudden explosion of drums and electric guitar, creating a vibe like the Dropkick Murphys. Worth checking out; after all, it's free on iTunes right now! 4/5
  2. Young Volcanoes - Fall Out Boy
    This is one of the more catchy songs on Fall Out Boy's new album, Save Rock and Roll, and one of my personal favorites. The clapping and vocals in the beginning had me hooked from the first listen, and I began to listen even more intently because of it's significant difference from Fall Out Boy's previous style. It's also one of the more "calm" songs on the record, leaning almost towards being acoustic. The vibe of the song shows that the band definitely had fun making this song; you can't help by want to clap and sing along. I can almost see it being sung around a campfire. Go look it up and listen! 5/5
  3. Nothin' But A Good Time - Poison
    There's something about the end of school and summer weather that makes me think of this song. It's a great song from a great era of music, one that I wish I could have been around to witness. The energy of this song makes you want to grin and jump around dancing, there's no doubt about it. And it's incredibly catchy, seeing that it's still being listened to 30 years later. I'm also a sucker for 80's guitars and guitar solos; it always amazes me what these guys could do on that instrument. It's also amazing how simple some of the chord progressions are, but how fantastic they sound. I'll always appreciate classic 80's rock n' roll. 5/5
  4. Be The Young - Yellowcard
    This song is only a few years old, but one of my absolute favorites by Yellowcard. Something about the sound catches my ear in a way that only a few songs do. It's driving, yet melencoly; it doesn't make you want to cry, but cruise on a summer night and feel the cool air on your face. You want to nod your head along to the beat and scream out the lyrics. It's a total summer song, and I'd even say it has a high-school feel to it, although I still love it now. The whole song keeps the energy going, from the opening explosion of sound to the last fading guitar chord. 5/5
  5. Light It Up - OneRepublic
    I'm still listening to OneRepublic's new album, Native, and this is one of the many songs I really love off of it. Ryan Tedder's falsetto is the highlight; his voice just soars over the rest of the track. Also, as in the rest of the album, the drums are the driving factor of the song; they just continue to groove and push the song. The bridge is my favorite; it takes the song to a whole new level of epic. The descending guitar/synth line is spectacular, it brings you down and takes you up again in a flight of musical wonderfulness. 5/5 






No comments:

Post a Comment