Thursday, April 4, 2013

Full Of War - Conditions

I discovered Conditions through AP's 100 Bands To Know In 2011, and fell in love with their 2010 debut album, Fluorescent Youth. It was a slick piece of rock and roll; dark and moody, but not enough to be depressing. They knew when to get gritty, and when to slow things down. When I found out about this album releasing, I was thrilled to hear what they had been working on. I was also slightly disappointed to learn that they were playing at a venue I love going to as I write this review, but I know that a band like this will be around for a while and that I'll have the chance again. Their sophomore record, Full Of War, definitely does not slump; it shines and shows the possibilities this band has in store.

On my first few listens to the record, I was pleased to hear familiarity in sounds and vibes; the band was staying true to the sound they crafted on their previous album. However, as I continued to listen, I began to notice the differences, the maturities. Their sound was similar, yes, but it had evolved. Not only did I notice this, but I found myself liking this album even more than their debut, which seems to be a hard hurdle for bands to overcome; the legacy of their first record. It opens with the fast paced "Walking Separate Ways", which sets the bar high for the rest of the album. Their energy and emotion never fails to make me want to nob my head along and jump around. The vocals are as fantastic as always, which is something that drew me to them in the first place. Brandon Roundtree's voice is unique, having a wide range and being able to weave between grit and smoothness.

While the sound may have evolved throughout, there are still a few songs that definitely could have fit on the first album, such as "Skeleton" and "The Decent of Man". Both are a little more edgy than the rest of the songs, and lean more to the darker side. They also both are great examples of the lyrical diversity of the band. "Skeleton" has Brandon reaching out to someone he knew who changed into someone unrecognizable, whereas "The Decent of Man" (i think) is Brandon calling out an old for falling in with a bad crowd and taking advantage of a girl. This is another thing that makes this band unique; their ability to take subjects not usually discussed in music and making them work.

Now, other songs on the album show a clear change in sound. Tracks like "Best Mistake", "Open Eyes", "Love Elusive", and "Wonderful Lie" all show experimentation and maturity. It takes maturity to try new ideas and sounds as a band; it's much easier to write and play what you know. "Open Eyes" and "Wonderful Lie" see the band taking things a bit slower, and having a more mellowed out tone, especially in "Wonderful Lie". "Open Eyes" draws more on a melancholy tone with a gritty instrumental, but incorporates some gang shouting that wasn't found previously. "Love Elusive", however, takes a turn in the opposite direction with an upbeat nature and a pop-punk sound, especially with the chorus' cry of "Lost love, push shove, feel it in my bones again". It's extremely catchy, and could easily be on the radio. Lastly, "Best Mistakes" is very different in the approach and sound; with a groovin' bass line and drums bringing the song in. It's definitely got a more alternative, pop-punk sound as well, not nearly as dark as the sound from their first record.

One more song I want to mention is "Long Division", which I highly recommend for purchasing. It starts off with a sick guitar line that utilizes echo and delay. Brandon's vocals are the high point of this track, reflecting true emotion that builds and ebbs with the choruses and verses. His voice feels immensely raw and vulnerable. The whole song has a haunting, yet beautiful sound. It's one of my favorites from the album.

Overall, this album is really fantastic. I definitely enjoy hearing the maturity and growth Conditions has gone through in the last few years. This album has, and will be on repeat for a good while in the coming weeks. 5/5

Tracklist:
Walking Separate Ways - 3:15 (5/5)
Skeleton - 4:08 (5/5)
Open Eyes - 3:23 (5/5)
Best Mistake - 3:06 (5/5)
Love Elusive - 3:35 (5/5)
Wonderful Lie - 4:01 (5/5)
Every Day Is A New Life - 3:57 (5/5)
The Decent of Man - 3:28 (4/5)
What We Wait For - 3:39 (4/5)
Long Division - 3:32 (5/5)
Not Giving Up....Not Yet - 3:53 (5/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment