Friday, May 10, 2013

Five Song Friday - May 10th

The weeks keep going by, and I keep finding more music I fancy (what a surprise). Take a look at what I've been listening to in this week's installment.


  1. Playing The Victim - The Story So Far
    I've slowly been listening to more and more of The Story So Far lately, and I'm finding I like them more and more. Their sound is gritty, tight, and in your face. This song in particular is my current favorite by them, specifically because of the chorus. I love the vocals, and the instrumental backing them create this powerful and driving sound. The synching of the drums and the roaring guitar create a perfect moment to headbang. This is one of those songs that just captures my attention, and I can't quite explain it. I've listened to it at least 5 times in the process of writing about it, and I absolutely love it. I can't get enough of it. If you like Polar Bear Club, Man Overboard, or The Wonder Years, these guys are great for you. 5/5
  2. Empty Space - The Story So Far
    This is another song I've found from The Story So Far's latest album, What You Don't See. It gets this beat going in my chest, and makes me want to rock out at a concert. Their choruses are what hook me on their songs; I absolutely love the intensity of the vocals and the driving force of the guitars and drums. Their vocalist, Parker Cannon, has a suprisingly good voice for being in the genre of pop-punk/punk. Most others that I've heard aren't bad, but they tend to be more gritty and less melodic. This song is less intense than "Playing The Victim", but still packs a punch. 5/5
  3. Lay Me Down - Chris Tomlin
    I really should just buy all of Chris Tomlin's latest album, Burning Lights. I keep listening to it and finding songs I absolutely love. The man clearly knows how to write incredible music and lyrics. This song is a contrast to Crown Him (Majesty), which made my weekly list last week. It had much more of a pump-up, anthem sound to it, and was much more driving and faster. I really enjoy the strumming pattern for the acoustic guitar; it's distinct, yet keeps up the liveliness of the tune. Tomlin's chord progressions are always crafted phenomenally, with the changes being wonderful to listen to. He doesn't just do average 4 chord progressions that you hear everywhere, but throws in various chords to add color and depth to his songs that is hard to fine elsewhere. The lyrics of this song are another aspect that draws me back listen after listen. This is a song of surrender and acknowledgment of God's Lordship over all. It is a fantastic reminder that we belong to something bigger and far better than ourselves, and that we need to set down our pride and look to God. Check it out if you like Phil Wickham, Kristian Stanfill, or Jesus Culture. 5/5
  4. Slow Dance Night - This Century
    I don't remember how I discovered these guys, but I've loved their music and sound since I first listened. With their latest album, Biography of Heartbreak, dropping next week, they've been releasing a few singles in the past few months leading up. I just found this song this week, and am completely hooked. It's insanely catchy, with a upbeat pop vibe that makes you want to go out on the town on a Friday night and just have fun. This song has radio play written all over it; it's pop genius. From the light guitar to the electronic beats to the synth line added in the chorus, this shows This Century's slow progression towards a more pop oriented sound. This shouldn't be a surprise to fans who have been listening for a while. Some of the other singles retain the alternative/rock sound they began with, but there is a heavy influence of electronic and pop coming in, which I think works perfectly for the group. If you like The Maine, The Summer Set, or A Rocket To The Moon, then these guys are for you! 5/5
  5. Love & Drugs - The Maine
    The Maine has been one of my favorite groups since I was shown them in 2008. I have watched their sound progress and their music mature in these 5 years, and I am incredibly proud of where they've taken their music. Their last record, Pioneer, was spectacular, and when I heard they were set to release a new album soon, I was stoked. When I heard both this song and their first single, "Happy", I was not quite as excited. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I will enjoy the album, but these songs sound a lot like they could have just been on their last album. I don't hear much of a sound change, which is good sometimes, but there still needs to be a sense of something new. I did enjoy the song, however, with it's rock and roll feel and driving instrumental. Check it out if you like the group. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment