Friday, January 11, 2013

Five Song Friday - January 11th


So I've decided to do a weekly post where I'll talk about 5 songs that I've been listening to this past week.  I'll try to do this regularly, and hopefully keep it to 5 songs (knowing me, I might go over sometimes). Hopefully you can gain an insight into my musical tastes and find new music that you can discover and enjoy! Also, this is no particular order.


  • Do or Die - 3OH!3
    This song was actually released via YouTube back in late May of 2012, but was finally released as a single a few weeks ago. I have absolutely loved it since I heard it, and was stoked to be able to download it. It feels significantly more like 3OH!3's older material than the other singles released from their new album, Omens, but shows that the group is moving in new directions. There is a dubstep/wobble influence that is highly present, and overall the sound seems more natural for them than the other singles released. Definitely one of my favorites from them. 5/5
  • Breakers - Local Natives
    I discovered this song by hearing a remix on Tumblr. It had a pretty sweet sound, so I wanted to look up the original and compare. After I gave it a listen, I headed over to iTunes to buy it because I was hooked. It had such a different sound than the music I generally buy, and I always enjoy discovering new bands and sounds. I don't know much about Local Natives, but the song has a great sound; a big chorus with chilled out verses. It has a dream-like quality, almost as if one is in a trance. I would recommend this to people who like Fleet Foxes and other bands along those lines. 4/5
  • The King Of Silence - We Came As Romans
    This song will change it up just a little bit, seeing that We Came As Romans is a heavy metal/screamo band. The band released a reissue of their last album, Understanding What We've Grown To Be, and this was one of the unreleased songs included. I was thoroughly impressed with the direction they appear to be moving in. Lyrically, their songs are becoming more inspirational in nature, although they already had been moving in this direction. Also, as I found out after reading an interview with their guitarist, they have been trying out having a more verse-chorus structure to their songs, which I personally prefer. It makes the songs easier to follow and more memorable. Lastly, I very much enjoy that they have been including and emphasising more  on their clean vocals. This also adds to the memorable factor of the newer songs. I very much enjoyed the song, and would recommend it to fans of Memphis May Fire, Of Mice & Men, and I See Stars. 5/5
  • Glósóli - Sigur Ros
    This band is another that I have recently discovered, and definitely one of the more peculiar. They are from Iceland, and so they sing in Icelandic. It means that I cannot understand a single word that they sing, or even pronounce the name of the song properly. However, I am able to understand the emotion and passion within the music, because there is something about music that transcends language barriers and cultural divides. The song is long, but the build up is beyond worth it. It unfolds into this epic and huge sound, that blew me away when I first heard it. The vocals are almost unreal, as they float in and out of the song so beautifully. If you are interested in expanding your musical tastes, then definitely check out the song and the group. 5/5
  • Beauty and a Beat (feat. Nicki Minaj) - Justin Bieber
    Yes, I know there's a lot of haters out there of Justin Bieber, but I have begun to enjoy some of his newer work. His latest album, Believe, has quite a few great songs, such as "As Long As You Love Me" and "Boyfriend". This song in particular has a really solid beat, and a pretty fantastic bass line for a pop song. Bieber's vocals have gotten immensely better since his voice dropped, and are quite enjoyable now. My only qualm with the song is Nicki Minaj, whom I don't particularly care for. That being said, her part on this song seems to fit and isn't too shabby. Overall, I think it's a really great song, and worth listening to. 4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment