Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Opinion: Bass Guitar

So periodically, I'll post my opinion about an event or subject happening within the music scene. This particular post is something I've been wanting to post for a long time, and something I think is fairly prevalent today.

The bass guitar. 

A species that is slowly moving towards endangerment, the bass guitar is losing it's importance. I believe that there is not nearly enough of it in music today. It is just part of the equation of creating a rock band. You need to have one, but you give them simple lines and quiet parts. You place them in the background.

This should not be. I don't think they should be used as lead guitars or anything along those lines, but they should contribute more than simple harmonizing lines. The bass line should be memorable. Like in Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, for example. That is probably one of the most well known bass lines today. Another great example of how the bass guitar should be used is in most of Muse's songs. Hysteria, Panic Station(which is reminiscent of Michael Jackson), Uprising, and others all have fantastic bass lines. Muse is known for memorable riffs, and are not afraid to use many different instruments in creating one. Another band who utilizes their bass is There For Tomorrow, with Hunt Hunt Hunt being a prime example as well as Get It. Lastly, Blink-182 has a fair amount of songs with good bass lines too, such as Always and What's My Age Again?.

I feel that there are many bands who could learn from bands like Muse and the others I've listed. The bass guitar needs to make a comeback, and I believe it can. If I'm ever in a band, I plan on having plenty of bass in my songs. There is not nearly enough in music today, and I want to bring the bass back.

No comments:

Post a Comment