Friday, January 25, 2013

Five Song Friday - January 25th

Here's this week's installment of "Five Song Friday"!


  1. Thé à la menthe - La Caution
    This song. I have been searching for this song ever since I saw the laser scene from Ocean's 12. After about 5 years of searching, I have discovered it.The song is so fantastically cool. It's French, I believe, and has an awesome dance/electro vibe. It's all instrumental, so I wouldn't recommend it to people who prefer to have some vocals. However, I highly suggest everyone gives it a listen, because you can't help but want to move to the beat. 5/5
  2. Now - Paramore
    I have loved Paramore and their sound for quite a few years now, and was extremely excited to see that this song was coming out. I was thoroughly impressed with the maturity and edgier sound they produced. It's an absolute blast to listen to, and very energizing. Definitely recommend for fans of the band and those who like groups such as The Maine, My Chemical Romance, and Panic! At The Disco 5/5
  3. Billie Jean (Live) - The Civil Wars
    I have slowly been getting into The Civil Wars, and was curious to hear how this cover would sound given their southern/folky/acoustic sound. I was enthralled. The chorus is so great, with John Paul White using his falsetto beautifully, and Joy Williams' voice complementing him very well. This stripped down version gets a little gritty, especially on some of the lower notes, yet is able to achieve very pure and melodic moments like in the chorus. I'd recommend it to fans of the original song, and those into John Mayer, Boyce Avenue, and The Band Perry. 5/5
  4. Jenny - Walk The Moon
    I discovered this band a few months back, from a TV commercial if I remember correctly. I had not really explored their music besides the two songs I had purchased, "Tightrope" and "Anna Sun". I decided, however, to purchase the rest of the CD and see what else they had. It is a fantastic album, and I would recommend going out and purchasing it. Now, one of the songs that stuck out and is currently my favorite would have to be "Jenny". Jenny is full of sexual tension and blunt yet amusing innuendos. The chorus line goes "Jenny's got a body just like an hour glass...I want to be the sand inside that hourglass". I thought it was clever and funny, and the song itself is upbeat and fun. Recommended for fans of Young The Giant, Of Monsters & Men, and Fun. 5/5
  5. God's Gift - J. Cole
    My roommate, Josh, introduced me to J. Cole this last semester. We happened to listen through his last CD, Cole World - The Sideline Story, and came across this song which neither of us had really listened to. J. Cole is an interesting character, with his lyrical content mainly being about girls, sex, and bringing in God and religion somehow while swearing like a sailor. That being said, the beat of this song is incredibly tight and hard. It gets in your face with grit and dirt. I could listen just for the beat. J. Cole may say some things that a bit controversial  but he has some really sweet beats, instrumentals, and rhymes to maintain his success. 4/5



     

No comments:

Post a Comment