Friday, January 18, 2013

Five Song Friday - January 18th

Here's this week's installment of "Five Song Friday"! Another week has gone by and I've discovered more music, some new and some old. Check them out and enjoy!
Again, these are in no particular order.
  • You Have Me - Gungor
    I first heard this song in chapel at my college, and absolutely fell in love with it. It's so beautiful, and the build into the chorus is incredibly empowering. It is a fantastic worship song, but with some really unique instrumentation that sets it apart from most. The lyrics are so moving as well, speaking about how in all our times of brokenness and doubt, darkness and being utterly lost, God is there and because of that, he has us completely. It's so great. If you are into worship music or are maybe wondering what it's like, this is a spectacular song to listen to. 5/5
  • Kiss Me - Ed Sheeran
    I actually discovered Ed Sheeran thanks to a quirky British TV show called "Nevermind The Buzzcocks", which I recommend to anyone who likes Who's Line Is It Anyways. After watching, I decided to check out his music, and was very impressed with this song. It's very sensual, and is meant to be a very romantic love song. It is cute and sexy at the same time, and would work very well in a movie scene involving a couple falling in love with each other or the likes. Definitely recommended for those who are romantics at heart or are looking for a great song to have as "your song" with your significant other. 5/5
  • Rose Tattoo - Dropkick Murphys
    About this time last year, my girlfriend, Lauren, got me into Irish/Celtic music. It's fun and exciting music, with a large amount of culture being passed down from generation to generation. I had previously only ever bought one song by Dropkick Murphys, but decided to check more out when I saw that they had released a new album. I downloaded this song after listening to the preview because I was impressed. It had that down-to-earth vibe I've come to expect from Celtic music, but with a more sentimental message. It talks about getting someone's name tattooed with a rose, hence the title. A line that stuck out to me in particular was "This one means the most to me, it stays there for eternity". I very much liked the idea and emotion behind it. Overall, a really great song. Good for fans of Flogging Molly, The Young Dubliners, and Gaelic Storm. 5/5
  • The Sacrifice of Faramir - Howard Shore
    After seeing The Hobbit in theaters last month and falling in love with the song "Misty Mountains", (which is completely fantastic), I decided to browse music from the Lord Of The Rings trilogy and see if there was any others I wanted to purchase. When I realized that this song included Billy Boyd singing "The Edge Of Night", I had to get it. The instrumental leading up to it was stunning, don't get me wrong. However, Billy's singing is so hauntingly beautiful. In the movie, it has an even bigger impact. I could (and did) listen to it again and again. I don't usually listen to much classical music, but selections from certain soundtracks are gorgeous. Recommended for those who like the soundtracks of The Hobbit, Harry Potter, and Star Wars. 5/5
  • Suit & Tie (feat. Jay-Z) - Justin Timberlake
    I already reviewed this song this week, so I won't spend too much time on it. Regardless of how different it sounds, it's incredibly catchy and I found myself singing and playing it constantly. The breakdown and ensuing chorus have to be my favorite parts. Jay-Z's rap fits pretty well and JT sounds great as always. I was glad to see the hip-hop influence still prevalent. It leaves me with anticipation for the rest of the album. 4/5





No comments:

Post a Comment