Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Top Albums of 2017

This is my list of my favorite albums from 2017. I've given a brief reasoning for why each one is on the list, and links to each review (if I reviewed the album). 2017 was a really great year for music, and I'm excited for what 2018 holds in store!


  1.  Lovely Little Lonely - The Maine 
    1. Last year, The 1975 had me captivated with their album - this year it was The Maine. Everything about this album was incredible; from the flowing nature to the mixing of the good and the bad of life, this album is going to stick with me for a while.
  2. How Did We Get So Dark? - Royal Blood 
    1. A solid ride of rock n' roll from start to finish, Royal Blood showed that they are not going anywhere but up as they continue their musical career. Gritty, loud, driving - all aspects of this album that made me come back to it for more and more.
  3. After Laughter - Paramore
    1. This album grew on me more than I expected. I liked it from the beginning, but it took some time to adjust to the new sound and direction Paramore went with. It was definitely well received, however, as this album has made most of the year end lists that I've read so far, and it is worthy of the praise it has received. Full of energy yet thought provoking lyrics that mean something - something I find hard to see elsewhere. 
  4. Melancholia Hymns - Arcane Roots
    1. A band I knew nothing of before September, and now one that I will very much keep my eyes out for their next release. This album goes the distance, mixing pop, rock, electronic, and screaming all in one place. Each track feels unique, yet right at home in this album.
  5. hopeless fountain kingdom - Halsey
    1. A sophomore success with bigger songs, bigger anthems, and the same underground tone that people came to love from Halsey's debut, Badlands. This album covers more ground in terms of personal growth, lyrics, styles, and guests. 
  6. I Decided. - Big Sean
    1. An album that I didn't think I would really be too interested in, this one surprised me in the story it told and concept it tackled. Big Sean showed that he has a very creative mind and wants to do more than some people might assume. Full of bravado and insight, this record will give you tracks for the good times and some to provoke your thoughts.
  7. One More Light - Linkin Park
    1. This album didn't make it as high on this list as I would have hoped - however, it was still full of some of my favorite songs of the year and revealed yet another side of this wonderful band that I will cherish and enjoy. Whether this is the final album they release or not, I will definitely continue listening and enjoying each moment of it.
  8. All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell - Pvris
    1. This album showed Pvris' ability to explore new territory while retaining their fierce, edgy sound that I fell in love with on their debut, White Noise. A lot of new sounds and ideas appear on this record, and while some of them don't work quite as well as others, it is by no means a sophomore slump from this excellent group of individuals.
  9. Melodrama - Lorde 
    1. Not an artist whose album I expected to make my list this year, Lorde's second release caught me by surprise and swept me away with it's lyrical intricacy, emotional depth, and pop perfection.
  10. Last Young Renegade - All Time Low
    1. All Time Low grabs my attention from time to time, and this album really showed them spreading their wings and trying out new territory. A thrilling, wild ride from start to finish of polished pop-punk gold. 

Honorable Mentions:
  • GEMINI - Macklemore
    • In his first album without Ryan Lewis, Macklemore took a route very different than his last release and had more fun with his songs. The result is an album full of worthy jams and tracks to listen to in the car, very loudly (it helps with the enjoyment, I promise). 
  • Science Fiction - Brand New
    • This album was a really fitting way for Brand New to close out their career. Full of angsty, moody moments and times of reflection through calm, yet haunting tunes. The opening track, "Lit Me Up", will definitely be one of my favorite songs from the band, along with many of the other explosive tracks from this farewell piece. (Note: I do not endorse any of Jesse Lacey's actions, alleged or true; I am simply commenting on the music of Brand New as a band). 

No comments:

Post a Comment