Saturday, October 5, 2013

Five Song Friday - October 4th

Another Friday is here, and an exciting Friday it is! I am going to another concert tonight, this time featuring Anberlin and The Maine (which yes, it will be my second time seeing them this year) as headliners, and Lydia and From Indian Lakes as the openers. It'll be an awesome show, and I'm stoked. So be on the look out for a review, and hopefully some pictures and videos. Seeing as that's the case, this week's will have some new music I've discovered (which means Justin Timberlake), and some of my favorites by The Maine and Anberlin.


  1. The Runaways - Anberlin
    I had not heard this song before I knew I was going to see them, and it was a pleasant surprise. I absolutely love the intro, which just sounds cool, plain and simple. This song has that edgier, gritty tone to it that is awesome. I don't know if they're going to play this song, but it would be awesome if they did because it's fantastic. It's evident that it's from Anberlin's earlier days, but it's a great work, and has some nice contrasts between the chorus and the verses. 5/5
  2. These Four Words - The Maine
    This is one of those songs that really showcases the raw talent The Maine has. It's stripped down, it's simple, but it's hauntingly beautiful. I got to see them perform it last time I saw them, and I hope they play it again, because it was fantastic. It just consists of pianos and vocals, but makes for a great sing-along. 5/5
  3. True Blood - Justin Timberlake
    JT is back again, and Part 2 is just as good as the first. "True Blood" is a Halloween-dance party song for sure, thanks to the vampire theme, monster references, and the occasional werewolf howl expertly placed. I love the thrill of this song, and it's evident inspiration from Michael Jackson's famous "Thriller". It's one of the best songs on his new record. Even though it's long, it really doesn't feel like it. I love JT's extended outros, and how they create unique listening experiences within each song.  5/5
  4. Cabaret - Justin Timberlake
    This is the shortest song on Justin's new album, but also one of the best. It's got a guest spot from Drake, who adds a lot to the song thanks to well thought out lines that complement JT's own great lyrical plays. It has a more hip-hop vibe than pop, which isn't a surprise since Drake is on it. It has a very sensual vibe to it as well, which is definitely Justin's style. I highly recommend it if you like Drake, Jay-Z, or the like. 5/5
  5. Royals - Pentatonix
    I love everything they do, I admit it. But they absolutely killed this song. I never was a big fan of the original, but this version blows it out of the water. The dynamics, the harmonies, the bass, the beat-boxing; it's all fantastic. Especially the harmonies, they get me every time I listen to the song. It's insane. Go listen to it, buy it, love it. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment