Friday, October 11, 2013

Five Song Friday - October 11th

The weeks fly by, and I discover lots of fantastic music to listen to (and by lots I mean A LOT). Check out what I've been listening to, and see which ones you like as well! I've attached links to the song names, so if you want to hear how they sound, click the title of the song and it'll take you there.


  1. I've Given Up On You - Real Friends
    I actually discovered this song thanks to some of my friends covering it, and found that I really enjoy it. The first time I listened, I felt it should eventually build with drums and the likes, but have found after a few listens that I love the way it is acoustic yet not. The addition of the bass guitar and the slightly distorted guitar help build the intensity without erupting into a full on punk song. The vocals and lyrics are where the song shine, with lines like "I write songs about you all the time" and "I'll stay awake at night with just my skin and bones" reveal an angst and depression present after a rough break up. Break ups are covered by every artist out there, but this felt like a fresh and more raw, emotional take on the subject. I very much enjoyed it. 5/5
  2. Vegas Lights - Panic! At The Disco
    I was stoked for this album, and it did not disappoint in the slightest. With the lyrical feel of their debut album and the instrumental of the future, Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die was a short but sweet set of tunes. This song, besides it's odd intro, is one of my personal favorites off the album. It has swagger, it has groove, and it embodies Vegas, (hence the title), which is a fitting tribute to the birthplace of Panic! Brendon Urie's voice is the best part of the track, which soars high and low, growing with intensity and teeming with intimacy at points. It's one of the highlights of the album, and I highly recommend it for fans of Fall Out Boy, Cobra Starship, and All Time Low. 5/5
  3. Sugarcane - Sleigh Bells
    To start, I apologize for the video link on this song; it was the only one I could find. The song, as you'll find if you listen, is raw. It punches you as the beat comes in to it's full extent, a wave of sound hitting your ears with resounding and booming beats lay the foundation for gritty guitars and polished vocals. Vocalist Alexis Krauss has a voice that isn't easily forgotten, and is especially showcased in this song, with melodies that catch your attention and enthrall you. I come back time after time just for her vocals, but also for the hard-hitting instrumental that backs up the intensity of her voice. I haven't listened to the entirety of the new album from Sleigh Bells, but after this and a few others, I'm well prepared to buy it. 5/5
  4. Blood On The Leaves - Kanye West
    I know that this seems like an odd addition to this list, but I do appreciate Kanye's talent as a rapper and making very innovative beats and tracks. This song is an example of that talent. It builds wonderfully, and erupts into an intense, dark track. The auto-tune fits the vibe perfectly, and is backed by a loud and gritty horn line with a perfectly timed beat. The song gets me pumped, and inspires me to create music with the same intensity. Lyrically, it's not terribly exciting, but the vibe and feel of the song is fantastic. 5/5
  5. I Don't Know You - From Indian Lakes
    I discovered this band at the Anberlin/The Maine show I attended last week, and was incredibly impressed with not only their sound, but their mature and professional stage presence. They did not have the awkward vibe of an opening band, but came off as confident and together as the openers. They are one of those fantastic bands who are better live than recorded, which is what I think all that matters. However, that doesn't mean the record is bad. This song is one of the many I really enjoy. It's one they played live, and one of the more low-key songs, but it still has it's intensity at times. Their sound is very relaxing and fall/winter-esc, fitting in with the clouds and chilly weather lately. Definitely check them out if you like The Maine, Walk The Moon, and Lydia. 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment