Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Concert Review - Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, and Twenty One Pilots

This took a little longer than I had hoped, but then again, life gets busy. I had the great privilege of going to this concert, and I do not regret going in the slightest. It was a blast, and an entertaining show. It was at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California, which is a fairly large venue. This ended up being a blessing in terms of noise, for I was not nearly as deaf at the end of the night as I anticipated. I know I should wear earplugs, but I just love the loud, loud music at live shows. Anyways, I had an actual seat, just about dead center, at the top of the lowest seating level. It was as good as it could get, (unless I was in the very front of the floor crowd), but it was really a quality spot to watch the show. I got there a little early, so I enjoyed my time, waiting for the show to begin.

It kicked off with Twenty One Pilots, a group I discovered soon after I learned they would be opening for the show. They had an immense amount of energy, with lead singer Tyler Joseph running and jumping around the stage as he sang, rapped, and screamed earnestly and emotionally. He was all over the place, including walking ON the crowd itself, using their hands to hold up his feet so he could sing to the crowd as he stood upon it. They, and all the other bands, incorporated a great many lighting effects into the show, (which makes me glad I don't have epilepsy, because I would have for sure had a seizure) and also did a lot of flips and backflips, which were all awesome. They used a lot of pre-recorded tracks, which bugged me a bit at first, but then I realized it makes sense since they're a two man band and can't possibly play 4+ instruments at the same time. It was cool, however, that they did play some, such as the drums, piano, and ukelele. Their bass lines, both synths and guitar, were INSANE. You could feel it hit your chest and mess with your heartbeat, it was so loud. I absolutely loved it, and I think everyone else in the crowd did. Another thing I liked about them was their humility. After almost every song, Tyler would talk to the crowd and thank them for coming out. Not only did he thank the crowd, but he continued to ask if the band was doing good enough for everyone, and if they all liked it. I thought it was a very humble attitude, one that is hard to find nowadays in the music industry. It gave me a lot of respect for them, and more interested in their show. They played only 6 songs, but they had just as much energy as the headlining acts. Not only that, but they ended their set with an insane drum-off outro where they just banged away on some toms as synths and bass was rumbling the arena. They were definitely a great opening group.

After a 20-30 minute pause for setting-up, Panic! At The Disco took the stage to screams and enthusiasm plentiful. I sadly missed them coming out because I was in line for a shirt, but still managed to catch most of their opening song, "Time To Dance". Panic! had a very Vegas show style to their set up, with lots of lights, screens flashing their name, and a whole lot of color. They came out with a different kind of energy than Twenty One Pilots, but that's expected. They were a much more theatrical act, and all about working up the crowd and performing their hearts out. They were also more comedic, with lead singer Brendon Urie having witty and hilarious remarks in-between songs. One such instance was when he told the crowd that his parents were in the crowd, and after having everyone say hi, he said to them, "Look Mom and Dad, I made it!" It was a great moment, with the crowd laughing and cheering for them. Comedy aside, they put on a great performance. All the members of the band were into the music, putting passion into their work as they jumped, ran, and jammed out. Urie's vocals were spot on, showing that the talent was not only real, but better than expected. He also was able to let out throaty screams, surprising me and adding some intensity to certain songs that complemented them well. Their energy was a great prelude into the openers; Fall Out Boy.

When the lights went out for Fall Out Boy, the screams and shouting where almost unbearable. But soon the crowd died down (slightly) to the sounds of "The Phoenix" rising up and bursting with energy. The boys of FOB came out in ski-masks for the first song, and then ripped them off as they carried on. The next hour and a half was filled with the screaming crowd, a set-list full of sing alongs, and a surprising amount of rock n' roll. Don't let the alternative-pop of their last album trick you; FOB is here to rock and make noise. They had crazy lights, an immense amount of energy, and no fear in going all over the place. The show flowed, from pure rock to piano led ballad moments, to even an acoustic stage in the center of the floor. It was all an absolute blast to watch. They brought back out Brendon to do guest vocals on "20 Dollar Nose Bleed", which was awesome, but they even took the time to cover Drake's "Hold On, We're Going Home", (which was actually really cool, despite being really unexpected). The acoustic stage was really great, taking a moment to lower the mood of the crowd and create the feel of a campfire sing along (without the fire). Guitarist Joe Trohman and drummer Andy Hurley each got their own solo moment, which furthered the rock concert vibe, and bassist Pete Wentz provided some throaty screams when necessary. Frontman Patrick Stump led the band with a solid grip, singing his heart out and driving the band to put on a real, authentic show. And that's what they brought. For most of the concert, I was on my feet, singing along and singing my lungs out. It was one of the best show's I've been to just based on the energy and enthusiasm each band put out, and I'd easily do it again.

Set-lists:

Twenty One Pilots-
Ode To Sleep
Migrane
House Of Gold
Holding On To You
Car Radio
Guns For Hands (with outro)

Panic! At The Disco-
Time To Dance
The Ballad Of Mona Lisa
The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide Is Press Coverage
Let's Kill Tonight
This Is Gospel
Ready To Go
Miss Jackson
But It's Better If You Don't
Nine In The Afternoon
I Write Sins Not Tragedies

Fall Out Boy-
The Phoenix
I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me
A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me"
This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race
Alone Together
Guitar Solo
Thriller
Death Valley
Sugar, We're Going Down
Young Volcanoes
Hold On, We're Going Home (Drake Cover)
What A Catch, Donnie
20 Dollar Nose Bleed (With Brendon Urie)

(Acoustic Stage)
I'm Like A Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me & You)
Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy

Drum Solo
Dance Dance
Just One Yesterday
I Don't Care
My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'Em Up)

Encore
Save Rock And Roll
Thnks fr the Mmrs
Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment