Friday, June 7, 2013

Five Song Friday - June 7th

Friday is here! And that means it's time for another installment of my Five Song Friday series. This week is somewhat of a takeover by The Maine, since they dropped their new album, Forever Hallowen, and since I will be seeing them in concert tomorrow! Expect a review of the concert with links to pictures and videos sometime next week. Check out the tunes I've been rocking, and see if you like them!

  1. Future - Paramore
    This album has been out for close to two months now, and I am still in love with it. This song especially has been one of my favorites, for it's unlike anything Paramore has done before. It's fairly long, for one, but contains some fantastic contrast. The difference between the first 3 minutes and the rest of the song is astounding, and it keeps me coming back for listen after listen. I know this would be an epic song to hear performed live, just because of the energy and huge sound they accomplished. If you like Anberlin, There For Tomorrow, or Tonight Alive, then you'll love this track. 5/5                                                                                                                                     
  2. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
    Now this song is the odd one out of the group this week, but I have been listening to it constantly. I was on a bit of an 80's kick last weekend, and this song was one that really caught my attention. It's super catchy, 100% 80's sounding, and a great summer song, (I know, who would have thought?). It makes you bob your head along, and puts a smile on your face, which is always a great thing for a song to do. I'm sure this song might bring back some memories for you readers who grew up in this era, so enjoy reminiscing  and if you haven't heard it before, then go listen! 5/5
  3. In My Remains - Linkin Park
    I have been playing this song and the rest of it's album, Living Things, since it's release almost a year ago. The whole album is absolutely fantastic, but this song in particular is one of my favorites. It has the essence of Linkin Park's sound, and is full of great rock guitars and driving drums. The vocals, however, is the best part; especially during the bridge, where Mike Shinoda leads the build up by chanting "Like an army, falling, one by one by one". Despite what some people say about the band, I think they have put out some killer CD's throughout the years, and this may be their best one yet. Check it out! 5/5
  4. Blood Red - The Maine
    This song starts in a somewhat creepy manner, which shouldn't be terribly surprising since the album name is Forever Halloween. Once the instruments kick in, then it becomes a dark, almost off-putting rock tune. The chorus brightens up slightly, but overall the song strays towards a more gritty feel. I really enjoy it though, because it's not dark in the sense of being depressing, but almost feeling real and mature. That was an overlying theme through the album, which I think was helped by the band only using real instruments to record the album. The chorus is my favorite part, with the change in feel and increase in intensity. A solid track from their new record. 5/5
  5. Kennedy Curse - The Maine
    Another darker song from the new album, "Kennedy Curse" begins with a guitar line and John O'Callaghan's voice, setting the mood as more melancholy than "Blood Red". Where the emotion really comes out though, is in the chorus, where O'Callaghan yells out for someone to come take his heart and tear it apart. This is the song of a heartbroken man, which is something that they've always written songs about. However, this is a much more mature look and sound for a heartbreak song, and that is what I really love about it. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment