Friday, June 14, 2013

Five Song Friday - June 14th

The weeks keep rolling by and I just keep on finding more and more music to listen to constantly. Check out this week's picks and see what you like!


  1. Whole Lotta You - A Rocket To The Moon
    Seeing these guys in concert was a blast; they put on a great show. This song in particular was one of my favorites from their set, with the upbeat nature and groovin' happiness. It's insanely catchy, and gets stuck in my head constantly. I love the different elements incorperated, from the acoustic guitar to the pipe organ, and how they create a southern, relaxing vibe. I also really enjoy the end, when it fades to just vocals, and the energy backs off, making for some nice contrast in the end. If you like The Maine, Boys Like Girls, or Go Radio, than this song is for you. 5/5
  2. Deadly Weapon - This Century
    When I went to the show that these guys played, I didn't imagine I'd be able to meet their lead singer, Joel, and get an autographed CD & poster. When I got home and every since the concert, I've been playing their album over and over, and loving every second of it. This song caught my interest, and I can't get it out of my head. It has an almost melancholy sound to it, created by combining electronic piano lines with a gritty guitar line and soaring vocals on the chorus. The overall vibe of the song just hooked me, and there really aren't words to explain why. This happens to me fairly often, and I get addicted to songs for a while. I recommend this to fans of Maroon 5, The Cab, or The Ready Set. 5/5
  3. These Four Words - The Maine
    The Maine played this song when I had the privilage of seeing them live last week, and after hearing it live I knew I loved it. The emotion and meaning behind the words is 100% real, which makes you appreciate the song more. It's a mellow song for The Maine, but I think it's a fantastic contrast to the rock and alternative sounds created on the rest of their latest album, Forever Halloween. The simplicity of the piano and the vocals bring to mind a dark bar, with some guy playing the piano in the corner and a man drowning himself in alcohol, singing the words for no one to really hear. Go buy it! 5/5
  4. Bright Lights - 30 Seconds To Mars
    30 Seconds To Mars' new album, Love Lust Faith + Dreams, hasn't been out for a month yet, and I keep coming back to it again and again. This song specifically has stuck out for it's 80's feel and huge sound. The synths, both in the background and out front, the pulsing drums, the echoing clean guitar, and the hushed vocals that erupt into shouts on the chorus all come together to create one of my favorite songs by the band, and possibly one of my favorites ever. It's not a fist pumping, jumping up and down tune, but it truly is beautiful. It is hopefully; not even in the lyrics, but just in the sound of the song itself. The boys of this group did not disappoint me with this album, and with this song, and I am very grateful for them doing what they do. 5/5
  5. Tracing Back Roots - We Came As Romans
    I'll be honest, after listening to the preview for this song on iTunes, I almost didn't buy it. It just didn't attract my attention. However, I found the music video for it from the band, and gave it another shot. Well, I was wrong to judge the song by what little part I had heard. The first 2 minutes or so are fairly heavy, reminiscent of the sound of their first full album, To Plant A Seed, and consists of just screaming as far as vocals go. The first half isn't bad, by any means; it's actually really well done. The real star of the song is when the clean vocalist, Kyle, comes in and takes over. The whole song slows down from roaring guitars and pounding drums to clean guitar riffs and building synths. And the lyrics, the lyrics are so fantastic. They make me happy every time I listen, and I really can't tell you why. Kyle sings about, (I think, this is my guess) the effect the band has had on the people who listen, and how the band will always live in the hearts of its fans, who they have helped through struggles again and again. That's what music is about. Reaching out to the broken and weary, and giving them something to hold onto. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment