Friday, June 28, 2013

Five Song Friday - June 28th

This week has been a big week in terms of new music for me. I ended up buying a lot of songs, and have been spending a lot of time checking them all out. So here's some of my favorites from this week. Also, this has to be one of my most diverse weeks.


  1. You Like You Love - The Relay Company
    I believe I discovered these guys through Twitter, and I have been in love ever since. They aren't very well known, (which is a shame, because they have talent), but they make superb music time after time. Their latest single, this song, is available for FREE here, so go listen and download and be happy. This song is absolutely heartwarming; it's cute. It's incredible simple, consisting of just vocals and guitar, but these guys shine acoustically. I saw them perform live and acoustic, and it was almost better than the original songs. They are awesome guys as well. But anyways, the song. It's a romantic song, a perfect summer night song for lovers laying and talking under the stars. It's simply about a boy and a girl in love, but I never get tired of that story. It has a lot of lines that'll make you smile, so just go listen already. 5/5
  2. Byebyelove - Jimmy Eat World
    Jimmy Eat World. Need I say more? The band is back with another album, titled Damage, which I finally got around to listening to and buying immediately after. It's an extremely well done album with many stand outs, this song in particular being one. It combines both their more edgy side and their mellow-acoustic nature. The contrast (I know, here we go again with that contrast stuff) is spectacular, from a quiet verse of muted guitar, low drums, and vocals to gritty electric guitars and crashing drums. It has a melancholy tone to it, but all the best songs are the sad songs. The whole album is great, but if you're only going to download one song, make it this one. They do not fail to disappoint. 5/5 
  3. Four Simple Words - Frank Turner
    Frank Turner is a fantastic musician. I continue to be drawn in and addicted to his songs. He writes lyrics that both provoke and relax. His music can go from calming and laid back to upbeat and fist pumping. This song happens to follow along with the latter, although the intro would lull you into a false sense of calm. The switch happens like a snap, and makes you want to get up and jump around and just go crazy. It's an absolute blast of a song, but also has some interesting lyrics in the verses, where he talks about the current music scene, and how he wants a revival of bands to rule the airways. Just go listen. It's simply awesome. 5/5
  4. Send It Up - Kanye West
    Now, before any judgement is made, I will say that I think Kanye has some fantastic beats and sounds. He always incorporates ideas that aren't really prevalent in the scene, and innovates a lot. With that being said, I still think he has the biggest ego in the world, and that comes out a lot in his lyrics. But overall, this is my favorite song from his new album. It uses some of the coolest synths I've heard in a rap song in a while, and I love the edgy nature the song gives off. Kanye may think he's all that, but truthfully, he does have some talent. 5/5
  5. Alive In The Lights - Memphis May Fire
    I have been listening to these guys more and more, and this was another song I discovered that is fantastic. They have furious guitars and drums, with brutal screams and soaring vocals over them. It never fails to impress. I particularly like this song, because of the lyrical ideas. From what I can tell, this song is about how the members of the band love what they do, and are sending a message to someone who wanted them to change and do something else with their lives. I really like the way they presented it; not in a disrespectful manner, but instead just laying out how they feel. It's a great song. Go get it. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment