Friday, December 28, 2012

Let These Words Last Forever - We Came As Romans

I did not used to like screamo for the longest time. It always gave me a headache and seemed like useless noise. And then I was introduced to A Day To Remember. In a conversation, my friend Austin Smith and I agreed that ADTR was a gateway band into the screamo scene. While they do have screaming, ADTR combines it with a pop sound, creating "mosh-pop". As I began to explore the newly discovered heavy world, I came across We Came As Romans. WCAR is a much heavier group than ADTR, but still stays more towards the melodic side than other bands. As I began listening to their music, I started paying more and more attention to the lyrics and deciphering what they were saying. The messages I picked up on surprised me immensely; they were so much more positive than the vibes the songs gave off. My interest in the group skyrocketed, and I bought more and more of their music as a result.

When I found out they were releasing a new single, "Let These Words Last Forever", as part of a reissue of their last album, Understanding What We've Grown To Be, I was thrilled to hear the new material. I was instantly hooked by the vocals and the driving force to the song. Once I looked up the lyrics, however, I was amazed. They were such profound, compassionate, and thought-provoking words. One line in particular that I enjoyed was "I'd rather have my words remembered and not my name; I'd rather have this message remembered and not my face". Those are such humble and inspiring words to me. This band is about more than making money or fame. They have an incredibly positive message that they are trying to get to a generation who is in need of it. For those surrounded by huge amounts of negativity in this world today, WCAR is a beacon of hope and positivity. The song itself makes you want to get up and move; it pumps you up and pushes you to want to make a difference. There needs to be more songs out there like this, and more groups with this attitude. I recommend this song to everyone who likes the band or is into the heavy scene. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment