Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dogs Eating Dogs - Blink-182

Blink-182 has been, and always will be one of my all time favorite bands. I grew up listening to them, and fell in love with their sound and attitude. They have always put out great music that works for so many occasions. They were there for my times of happiness, rebellion, sadness, anger, and much more. They got to me like few other bands did. When I found out that they split up back in 2005, I was pretty disappointed. I loved their work. So when I found out that they were planning to get back together in 2011, I was beyond stoked. I loved Neighborhoods, the CD they just put out in September of '11. It was Blink, but they had grown up. This had to happen; you can't expect 30+ year old men to make the same music they did when they were 20. It had some weak points, but was an overall great comeback.

Now, the announcement for Dogs Eating Dogs came quickly and unexpectedly. The band had left their record label earlier this year, and decided to write some songs and make their latest EP. I was excited as always, and awaited the moment of the release. When the time came, I hit "buy", anxiously waited until the songs had downloaded, and then hit repeat.


  • When I Was Young caught me completely off-guard. It was so much like Blink's older material that I was shocked. I feel in love immediately. It grabbed my heart and mind and sprinted away as I tried to catch up. The chorus is fantastic; Tom's vocals are hauntingly amazing, and the lyrics are so simple, yet I know this will be a song I listen to when I'm angered by everything. Or when I want to shove my fist in the air and scream along and jump up and down. This may be one of my favorite Blink songs ever. It's so catchy, got attitude, yet is grown up. Such a spectacular start to the EP. 
  • Dogs Eating Dogs is the title track, and opens like a Blink song from the early 2000's. Mark starts singing, instantly creating that back and forth sense we all know to be Blink. The drums definitely push this song, with Travis doing solid work as always. I love Tom's job on the chorus, bringing in a hint of Angels & Airwaves but keeping the Blink there. And while the song does have a more punk feel to it, the lyrical content is much more mature and deep than they would have written about 15 years ago. 
  • Disaster starts with some nice bass, and then drums hit it off to start the build. With the synths and guitar, it begins to feel very much like the intro of an AVA song. However, everything clicks when the verse begins. Travis does some really fantastic work, helping to really drive the song as Tom reaches out to someone who's scared and alone. I really love on the chorus where Tom sings "Hold on you're breaking up" and everything hits on each of the words, giving a breakdown feeling. This song makes me want to just move in some way. The energy of the song courses through me when I listen, and it's really incredible. It also has an epic feel to it, thanks to the AVA vibes running throughout the song. 
  • Boxing Day was another unexpected gem on this EP. Blink had mentioned that one of the songs would have a folk feel to it, but I did not expect it to turn out like this. It's Blink for sure, but with a hint of Box Car Racer interwoven throughout. The acoustic guitar was a great idea, especially with the intro. The harmonies Tom and Mark use in the pre-chorus is beautiful, to be honest. The whole song is beautiful. It is another fantastic example of how much the boys have grown up, not only in their music but their lives. All of these songs have a much more melancholy tone, but it's not emo or depressing in any way. It's real, and that's the best part about it. Another great addition to the EP and Blink's catalogue. 
  • Pretty Little Girl had to be one of the more surprising songs off the EP. Most of the track has a +44 feel to it, even though Tom sings the vocals. The synth line was also a nice touch. The part that caught me off guard, however, was a rap from Yelawolf during the bridge. I had to check that this was the only song playing and it wasn't a mistake. At first, it felt so out of place, but after a few listens I started to like. It showed Travis' hip-hop influence, which I felt was a really nice touch. Tom and Mark's joint vocals on the chorus was also a solid way to finish off the EP. I don't know it this is what they were going for, but I think it showed a sense of unity in the band. They're doing what they do best, having fun, and being themselves. 
This is one of my favorite releases from Blink-182, and I absolutely recommend buying it. It's a steal at $4, and is a spectacular addition to any music library. It shows their growth, maturity, and expanding tastes. 

5/5








No comments:

Post a Comment