Friday, September 20, 2013

Five Song Friday - September 20th

This week is going to be a bit different from previous weeks. Instead of talking about music I've found over the week (which I've found plenty, no surprise, so look forward to more next week), I'm going to talk about some of my favorites from Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, and Twenty One Pilots, since I'M SEEING THEM TONIGHT! I've very excited, as you can tell, so check out what some of my favorites are, and look out for a review of the show sometime next week!

  1. Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year - Fall Out Boy
    So I decided that for each band, I'm going to list a favorite old song, and a favorite new song. For Fall Out Boy, I had to include this song. It's not one of their bigger songs off From Under The Cork Tree, but it's one of my personal favorites. I especially love the build in the bridge, which also includes guest vocals by William Beckett, formerly of The Academy Is. The scream at the end that leads back into the final chorus is the icing on top of the cake. The song overall is a great representation of what the punk scene looked like close to 10 years now, and is still awesome to listen to nowadays. 5/5
  2. My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up) - Fall Out Boy
    This is easily my favorite from the new album, and is just as intense and hard-hitting as Fall Out Boy's previous. It is one of the biggest hits from the new record, and it's obvious why. It's an anthem, it has energy, and it will definitely fill the stadium at the show tonight. I love the hip-hop influence, showing the way that FOB is choosing to incorporate other genres into their music now. 5/5
  3. I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic! At The Disco
    This was the very first song I heard by Panic!, and it is still one of my favorites. It captures the essence of who Panic! was when they first began, and I believe it is the sound they are returning to with their new record. The instrumentation of this song is killer, with the variety of strings creating a contrast to the more punk-alternative nature of the chorus. It's a fantastic song, and I cannot wait to hear it live again. 5/5
  4. This Is Gospel - Panic! At The Disco
    I'm excited to hear this song live, particularly because it embodies what Panic! has come to be. They have strayed towards the pop-electronic sound, but still incorporate the punk energy they began with. This is another song that will fill the arena, and will be met by many fans chanting back the lyrics. 5/5
  5. Holding On To You - Twenty One Pilots
    I did not know who these guys were until I found out they were opening for the show, and I am very glad I discovered them. They have an incredibly unique sound, combining rapping with alternative rock in a way that I haven't heard before. This song in particular not only represents that hybrid sound, but the lyrical genius that their vocalist provides. Lines like, "lean with it, rock with it, when we gonna stop with it? lyrics that mean nothing, we were gifted with thought". I absolutely love their message they put out with each song, and the energy on every track. They'll be a killer opening band for sure. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment