Friday, September 13, 2013

Five Song Friday - September 13th

It's been another busy week of school, and there are new songs to talk about! I hope you enjoy the selections and my thoughts about each one. Also, look out for next week's addition; since I'm going to a Fall Out Boy/Panic! At The Disco/Twenty One Pilots concert (SO EXCITED), it might be themed towards that..


  1. Supercell - M83
    I know I keep going on about this soundtrack, but seriously; one of the best I've ever heard. The orchestration, the inclusion of electronic sounds, the drama and emotion the music holds alone is truly incredible. This song is no exception to that, and is only included in the deluxe version of the soundtrack on iTunes. It starts off very atcive, with lots of drums and electronic synths creating a big sound. This song in particular reminds me a lot of the soundtrack from Tron: Legacy, with the heavy electronic influence and the strings helping to create tension. This piece is very cinematic, with a lot of drama contained in the 4:19 that it lasts. I highly recommend this song, and the whole album, to people who liked Tron: Legacy's soundtrack. 5/5
  2. Edge Of Heaven - Breathe Carolina
    I discovered this song last week, but not soon enough to include in last week's Five Song Friday. I have put it on at least once each day; there's something about it that has an addicting nature to it. It's an electronic/dance heavy song, and manages to have both softer, pop moments, and wobble filled breakdowns. The chorus is the best part of the song, combining the dubstep-influence, David Schmitt's clean vocals, Kyle Even's roaring screams, and a pulsating drum track to create a fantastic sound. I am hooked on this song for now, and definitely recommend it. 5/5
  3. The Fire - Tonight Alive
    I've been listening to Tonight Alive and their latest album, The Other Side, a lot this week, and think it's a solid sophomore record. This is one of the songs that stuck out in particular as a polished pop-punk song. It has a catchy guitar line, driving drums, and even a noticeable bass line during parts of the chorus. The shining moment, however, is the chorus, and specifically, Jenna McDougall's vocals. The way her voice soars and climbs is enchanting and captivating, and I absolutely love it. It's truly remarkable, and the song show's the more edgy tone they went with over the coarse of the album. 5/5
  4. The Other Side - Tonight Alive
    The Other Side, the title song from Tonight Alive's new album, is a more mellowed out pop-punk piece that reminisces of a high school friendship/relationship. The song is cute, in my opinion, yet also melancholy, for it is looking back on how they had to park ways and separate. The backing track definitely helps contrast between the moments of intensity and soulfulness, but it's really the vocals for me that set it apart. Jenna has an incredible voice, and it helps lend emotionality to this song. The lyrics are fantastic as well, bringing to mind a time when things were more simple in life, and the worries and troubles of adulthood hadn't crashed in yet. Definitely a song to check out if you're a fan of We Are The In Crowd, VersaEmerge, and Sleeping With Sirens. 5/5
  5. Atlas - Coldplay
    When I saw that this was going to be the lead single for the soundtrack of Catching Fire, the latest Hunger Games movie, I was a bit skeptical, mainly because of the last soundtrack and it's lead single (which I later learned to like). This one, however, was much more different than I expected. I should have had a bit more faith, for Coldplay does some quality music, and this song is one of their best efforts I've ever heard. It starts off delicate, with a piano line that has some incredibly beautiful chord changes. Chris Martin, who has one of the best voices in the business, comes in very softly, complementing the emotionality of the piano line. It continues in this manner until suddenly, the drums kick in, as well as some synths, to create an epic and immense sound that very much fits the style of the Hunger Games. It definitely has me excited about the rest of the album, and the movie as well. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment