Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Folds in Your Clothes - EP - Laureline

The more I listen to this EP, the more I find myself in wonder.

As a disclaimer to start, I went to college with Ciera (vocals/guitar) and Marian (bass) of LA-based band Laureline, so I'm somewhat biased towards the work that they do.

Now, does that mean that I am going to promote or encourage you to listen to their music just because I know & like them as people? No.

I'm going to tell you to listen to this EP because it's damn good.

The comparison to The 1975 feels too obvious (as well as something I mentioned in my review of their first single "I Love You"). It's an influence, no doubt, but isn't a defining aspect. Sonically, yes, it's similar. But the direction, the vibes? Much, much different. There's a clear intentionality about the music of this EP, a purpose and a passion with each track. It's all very atmospheric, layers of sounds building together to create an experience with each listen, not to mention the lyrics and the stories the band tells with each track.

I love the dual vocals - I have said it time and time again when reviewing other artists that utilize this, and I will always go on about it. It provides so many more opportunities for a band, places and sonic spaces that other groups can't explore. The way in which Laureline chose to have songs where the vocalist work together ("I Love You" & "Nothing") and also songs where each vocalist gets to lead ("Restless" for Ciera" and "Hum" for Chris). Each song reveals the vocalists' own strengths or allows one to shine while the other provides support.

"Restless" starts with this beautiful set of piano lines, echoing into each other as the rest of the song unfolds (which the beat, to me, reminds me of "100 Letters" by Halsey off her latest album).  Ciera's vocals are really the highlight of the release though, floating over the track like a spirit with some real soul. The song has a little bit of fight, especially in the chorus and the last line: "when you say you want it back, you can have it"; clearly a relationship or friendship gone south is the fuel to this fire. I especially enjoy the saxophone solo, adding to the hearty and soulful sound of the track, despite the more modern instrumentation.

To me though, the highlight of the release is "Hum" and "Just Go Slow On Me", the last two songs that meld together to create a nearly eight minute long experience. They're softer, quieter songs; yet build in momentum and emotional weight as they progress.

The strongest, most pulling moment of "Hum" is the bridge, where Chris repeats the line, "Do you wanna love me now?", over and over, rising with the music as the intensity builds. It feels so vulnerable and heart-wrenching, and showcases the band's ability to craft such powerful pieces.

The follow up to that intensity, however, almost ends up overshadowing it. "Just Go Slow On Me" is shorter, but the second stanza of lyrics carries such weight despite it's brevity:

"But I can't
Hear you but you're talking to me
And I'm forgetting how you look already
And I told you please just go slow on me
When you told me that you like loving me
But I can't".

The two songs are certainly interconnected, and almost required together to fully experience the depth to which this band wants to bring the listener; cocooned in soft synths and warm bass tones as the sorrow washes over. That makes it sound a bit more emo than it is - but I promise, it's an experience worth going through.

What a phenomenal start for a group with such potential. Most definitely looking forward to future releases from one of LA's most promising young bands.

Rating: 4/5

Related: The 1975, Lany, Halsey

No comments:

Post a Comment