Saturday, September 22, 2018

A Music Lover's Brief Update

Lately, when I’ve been listening to music or browsing what’s new, I have often ended up listening to older music - either from earlier this year or in the last few years. I’m just finding that a fair amount of the new songs and albums don’t have the same repeatable factor that I’ve been hearing in other songs. That, and lately my mood has not always been reflected by or compatible with the music coming out.

So I’ve been going back to what’s comfortable, what’s familiar. The songs I know that will fulfill that need, the emotional craving inside. I love exploring sounds, finding new artists, but sometimes it doesn’t work for me. I don’t like trying to review or make judgments on music when I’m like that, as I feel it doesn’t give the songs or artists the chance they deserve. Sometimes, I end up feeling guilty if I don’t review something for a long period of time, at least in the last two years or so since I’ve been posting regularly again.

I know I’ve done some reviews for the sake of it, to be consistent and keep up the image of being a good blogger (whatever that means). I also know that part of it lies in my need to feel productive, to feel like I’m doing something and see results and have other people see that as well. The search for validation and results, two things that I’m constantly searching for.
The last month or so, I really haven’t attempted any reviews. Part of it has been due to a busy time, and letting that be an excuse. But a big part was the lack of inspiration and desire to review music, and wanting to share thoughts that I felt were authentic. Not for the sake of putting something out there. Learning to let myself take the time I need for the real world, and not letting guilt or internal pressure push me towards mediocre or subpar.

More reviews will be forthcoming. There’s been some stuff coming out that I’ve got my eye on to write about, but I felt like I needed to put this out as well and be authentic in this process. Thanks as always for reading and indulging my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment