Saturday, May 12, 2018

My Little Awkward Body - Death & His Couch Band

I’m pleased to again be reviewing a new release from my friend Charles Crowley through his passion project, Death & His Couch Band. I previously reviewed the single “Sunpools”, and really enjoyed the work Charles put into the music. This new release continues that sense of vulnerability and honesty that marked “Sunpools”.

With “My Little Awkward Body”, Charles uses the track to open up about his struggles with self-image and the ways in which that has impacted his life thus far. What’s really cool is the companion piece he wrote up for the song (read it here), which I’ll reference as well. In terms of the instrumental, it moves in a bit of a different direction than “Sunpools”, being more upbeat and with a more intense sound. The drums are much different, giving the song a sense of urgency and adding to the prominent shoegaze/dreamo sound found throughout. The bright synths add some contrast to instrumental, soaring and echoing while the guitars and drums are more precise and gritty.

The song is mostly instrumental until the vocals/lyrics kick in at the 1:20 mark, which is more than halfway through the two and a half minutes of the track. I really enjoy the lower and higher vocals playing on each other, adding further depth to an alread well layered track. It almost gives the sense of two vocalists, two voices conveying different emotions and emphasizing different points. The lower obviously is more reserved, a sense of brooding contrasted by the louder, almost screaming nature of the higher vocals. Even when the vocals show up, they don’t exactly feel like the focal point - the mixing blends them into the track in a way that forces you to be attentive while also allowing for the listener to let the track wash over them in a wave of sound.

Now, the lyrics. It's only two almost identical stanzas, which I'll post below:

"don't wanna feel like I've lost myself
today's the only day I have left
today's the only day I have left
today's the only day I have left
in my awkward body
my little awkward body

don't wanna feel like I've lost myself
today's the only day I have left
always the only day I have left
always the only day I have left
in my awkward body
my little awkward body
my little awkward body
my little awkward body".

I think these lines, combined with the companion piece I mentioned/linked to earlier,  really present an honest and open portrayal of a struggle that many people can relate to. I especially like that Charles is talking about it as a man; while it is more well known for women to struggle with body image and the pressures of societal norms and expectations, it also falls on men as well. I myself have struggled with this (and still do on occasion), and I know many others do. Not only that, but with the notion of how connected we as people with our bodies and that they are simultaneously a vessel in which we reside and also a part of who we are. No wonder what we think of our body can affect us so deeply. It's this conversation, this part of our humanity that I am really glad Charles was able to bring up and share his experience with so as to create conversation and be vulnerable. Vulnerability is obviously a difficult thing to do, but often helps bring about the changes that humanity needs.

While I think I prefer "Sunpools" as a track, "My Little Awkward Body" has such depth and meaning behind it that I know I'll be listening to it and sharing it with people around me. I'm grateful to Charles for taking the time to put forth this work (which he mentioned was due in part to encouragement from a friend and bandmate of his from his other group, Gardenside, "Robby Craig, who also mixed & mastered the tracks"), and for sharing his thoughts with me. He will be working with a director on a music video for the track, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment