Thursday, May 18, 2017

Young & Menace (Single) - Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy has had quite the journey over the course of their 16 year musical career so far. They were the golden boys of mainstream pop-punk with songs like "Sugar, We're Going Down" and "Thnks fr th Mmrs". They parted ways for a few years and came back with a vengeance and a new sound in 2013 with the lead single "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)" and the following two albums Save Rock and Roll and 2015's American Beauty/American Psycho.

Now, here we are in 2017, and we have had a new FOB song for about a month, "Young & Menace". I heard the song the day it came out thanks to a friend texting me, asking if I had heard it yet. I immediately found it, threw in headphones, and played, not really knowing what to expect. The result was something quite incredible. The dark & brooding intro instantly alerted me to the fact that this was different; beyond the change the last two albums had already introduced. The song began picking up, with Patrick Stump pulling from Britney Spears "Oops I, did it again I, forgot what I was losing my mind about," catching my ear and the song was building more and more and I knew the chorus was coming but I wasn't prepared for the wall of noise that soon hit my ears. The drop gave me chills, as rock met electronic and I was jumping around my living room listening to this thing I couldn't properly describe. Guitars roar, synths blast, Stump screams and it's edited super high and super low, and the drums push and pull in what feels like a jam session, Stump's vocals shine as always, especially in the second verse where he shows off his range and power. The bridge kept the energy going despite slowing things down in-between drops, and the whole thing flies through in a flash and then it's over and you feel breathless and ready for another listen.

This song sounds like a band that's ready for the future. A band that is willing to push the limits of what sounds they can make and who they want to become. And even though we have to wait till September 17th for the rest of the album, it is definitely one of the most anticipated albums on my radar. Check out the song here. It won't be for everyone; I think the band knows that. But it's a bold step forward for the boys who started in Chicago suburbia and pop-punk roots.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment