Friday, March 10, 2017

Black Butterflies and Deja Vu (Single) - The Maine

I've written about The Maine before. I've been listening to them since I was in 8th grade; almost 10 years at this point. And throughout their entire career, they have continued to produce music that constantly surprises me and exceeds my previous expectations. The evolution of their sound has been such a pleasure to watch, from the early pop-punk of Can't Stop Won't Stop to the more mature and gritty Pioneer to the fun & thought-provoking American Candy. They're now preparing for their 6th studio album (6 albums in 10 years, not too shabby at all), Lovely Little Lonely, and we've seen two singles released so far; "Bad Behavior", a feel good tune full of clever innuendos and a groove so catchy that you cannot help but sway along and rock out (I write as my head and shoulders uncontrollably move to the beat). I got to see this one live at the 8123 Fest, a celebration of the 10 years of The Maine and all their friends, which was an absolute blast.

The real focus of this post is the second single that came out last week, "Black Butterflies and Deja Vu". The album comes out in less than a month, so getting another single wasn't really guaranteed.

But we did, and I can't remember the last time I was this excited and in love with a song. It opens fast and loud, with the beat almost feeling a bit "drum and bass" and a much faster tempo than "Bad Behavior". John provides some of the best vocals I've ever heard from him, with excellent harmonies and so much energy from every member of the band. You can't help but feel energized when the song plays. And some of the harmonies during the verses; absolutely stunning.

One of the coolest aspects of this song is the inversion of the traditional balance between the verses and choruses. Normally the verses are a bit more restrained and build into a big chorus, but The Maine use huge, full verses and very stripped down choruses to create some incredible contrast. It makes you listen; it forces you to break from the usual expectations and be attentive to what is happening.

The other part of this song I love is the lyrics. It's one of the more relatable songs I've heard in a while. Just look at the first half of the chorus: "I lose my voice when I look at you, can't make a noise though I'm trying to, tell you all the right words, waiting for the right words". They were able to capture the exact words about how it's sometimes so difficult to find the right thing to say. It's such genius lyrical work, and it's very applicable to situations most people go through. There's also beautiful lines like "you come around, I come undone" or "you crash like a rolling wave, you come around I lose my brain".

I was incredibly impressed with this song. I can see why the band is excited about the new album, and I cannot wait to hear it in its entirety.

Bad Behavior Rating: 4/5

Black Butterflies and Deja Vu Rating: 5/5


One last note; another thing I love about The Maine is their sense of family they have created with their fan base. They absolutely love their fans (I've met them before, and they were so down to earth and humble). One way they're showing their love is with the new program they're doing to promote the new album. They're letting their fans be the ones on the front lines, and they're rewarding them for it. I've signed on to be a record sales rep, which means that I actually get a commission on any albums that I sell through my own link to their merch store. So, if you like what you've heard from the band, please click here and check out their pre-order options. If you buy something through my link, I get a portion of the sales, and you help support The Maine to keep doing what they do. So please check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment