Friday, February 7, 2014

Five Song Friday - February 7th

This week has been an exciting week, at least in terms of the music I've bought. I finished getting some albums on iTunes, so I've been listening through them and finding my favorites. Check my choices out, and see what you like. As always, thanks for reading!
  1. Anagram - Young the Giant
    I ended up getting this album as well, and this song was easily one of the stand outs. The raw energy and explosive transitions between each section immediately makes this song memorable to the listener. Young the Giant explored their upbeat side a lot more on this album, which is one of the reasons I like it more than their debut album. They are strong in this area, able to create driving drum beats that are accented by a variety of sounds, from guitar lines to string sections. These elements are featured separately at first, but come together at the end to create a much bigger and deeper sound. The vocals are probably my favorite part, for Sameer Gadhia gets low and intimate, but will immediately soar to incredible heights. All in all, this song was an excellent first full song to kick of their sophomore attempt. 5/5
  2. Sunny Side of Hell - GrieveI've slowly been picking songs off this album and buying them, and after I got this song I finally just got the rest of the album. This song is one of my favorites of the bunch thought, because it's got Grieves aggressive rapping style and prominently features the influence of jazz that is present throughout the album. The horns, the drum beat, it's all got hints of jazz that create an old-school sound without sounding old and out of relevance. He combines the old and the new, and the result is intriguing and enticing. Even though this song is one of the more upbeat and energized songs, it still has this sensual nature that draws the listener in. I haven't listened to it too many times, but I know I'm definitely going to be spending more time with this album in the future. 5/5
  3. Pound Cake / Paris Morton Music 2 (feat. Jay-Z) - Drake
    This song has an interesting intro, featuring a soundbite from an older gentleman who talks about how he used to just record what he wanted back in the day, and that good music is the only kind that will last. After some vocal editing at the very end, the beat drops in and the real song begins. It's dark and it's simple, but it has depth in the vibes it gives off. I personally think Drake does better when he draws on a gritty feel, and this song definitely does that. Jay-Z has a great guest spot on this song as well, taking not just one but two verses. It's easy to get lost in this song, thanks to the contradictory nature of the simplicity of the beat, yet the depth that is created by just a few instruments. However, about halfway through it all switches up and the vibe completely changes, taking on a much more upbeat tone but still retaining a tinge of darkness. I don't like this half quite as much as the first, but it's still worth listening to. The end result is a more than 7-minute track that shows some great contrast, but deviates from the expected radio sound. 5/5
  4. Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) - Hillsong United
    I've heard this song many times before, both at my school and when I saw Hillsong United in concert, but I never bought it until this week. I've always liked it, but something finally just clicked and I wanted to have it. I think that worship nowadays can be lackluster and dry, but this song is definitely a stand out from the rest. It has huge soundscapes, awesome builds, and powerful vocals. It all comes together to create an inviting worship environment, but doesn't come out as musically hollow. It has life and passion, and the musicians behind it wanted to make more than just a good worship tune; they wanted to make quality music that is enjoyable to listen to. 5/5 
  5. Firelight - Young the Giant
    This song was also a stand out from the new album, Mind Over Matter, but for all the opposite reasons as "Anagram". It's soft, mellow, and very low key. This side was not as present on the album, but this song is really all you need. It's dreamy, it's ethereal, and perfect for falling asleep to. That doesn't mean it isn't interesting, however, thanks to the gang vocals found throughout, the vocals in general, and the repeating but beautiful guitar lines. It would be an acoustic song if not for all the echoes that give the song more depth than it would ever achieve acoustically. It also has a beat that comes in after about 3 minutes, but by no means does that make it any less soothing. If anything, it makes it more mellow and relaxing. It's simply a feel good song, and one of my favorites from the album. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment