Friday, January 17, 2014

Five Song Friday - January 17th

Welcome to the latest Five Song Friday! This week was my first back to college after winter break and was some of your first weeks back as well, so I hope things have been going well with new classes and schedules. I've been needing some music to fuel me throughout the week and these songs are some of the tracks I've been listening to nonstop. Check them out and see which ones you like!

  1. Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J) - Katy Perry
    I know I've had a lot of Katy Perry lately, but that's because I really love some of her new stuff. This song is one of the more known tracks from her latest album, Prism, and after a listen I think you'll see why. It's got hip-hop elements, it's darker (and from the title, that's not a surprise), and it's sexy. Katy Perry's vocals on this song are some of her strongest, with seduction and a hint of danger dripping from her voice that draws you in. She gets fairly high up, but also stays in her lower register a fair amount, which really adds to the romantic nature of the song. Now, while I love Katy Perry, I am not a big fan of Juicy J and I personally think his rap holds this song back from being truly fantastic. It's just too simplistic and lacks an element of creativity that would make it pop and shine. Overall, however, this song is one of my favorites from her album, and I would highly recommend it. 5/5
  2. A Part Of Me (feat. Laura Whiteside) - Neck Deep
    I found this song thanks to some good friends of mine in Dear Misguided who did a cover of this song (check it out here), and I've been hooked since. It's soft in terms of instrumentation, but the vocals bring the raw vulnerability that I've grown to expect and love from pop-punk songs. The vocals aren't polished and perfect, but the gritty and screamy nature is part of the appeal. It's honest, unlike some pop stars who use autotune and editing to come out with the perfect sound and I think that's what resonates most with the listeners, even if they don't know that. Another aspect I love are the guest vocals from Laura Whiteside, who provides that pretty and soft side that balances out the more raw vocals. All in all, this is definitely a great song to pick up if you like acoustic pop-punk from groups like The Story So Far, The Wonder Years, and Man Overboard. 5/5
  3. Live For The Night - Krewella
    I've been delving more into Krewella's material, and this song is definitely becoming one of my favorites as of late. The slow build in the beginning acts as a great contrast to the huge nature it takes on as the song kicks into gear. This song is not terribly gritty, but sticks to a more club/rave type of vibe, which definitely works. There is one part that is a short breakdown section that has some more dirty synths that also add some contrast to the more upbeat nature of the rest of the song. Krewella's vocals are one of my favorite aspects of the group, and what I think sets them apart from some of the other artists in their genre. All in all, I'm becoming more impressed with their work as I listen to it, so expect more to pop up in the coming weeks. 
  4. Sparks Will Fly (feat. Jhene Akio) - J. Cole
    My sister actually showed me this song and I was hooked from the first time that I heard it. It has J. Cole's signature rapping and instrumental, but adds in the soft nature of the up and coming Jhene Akio. J. Cole has distanced himself from most rappers today with his realistic lyrics and meaningful nature. Some of his songs can sound like the typical banter, but he gets into the real world issues of relationships in his own life. This song is about a fading relationship that both sides are struggling to work through. He admits many times that he isn't perfect and that he won't achieve that any time soon, but that relationships that are meant to last will have ups and downs due to our imperfections. It hasn't been widely noticed, but it's definitely worth checking out if you like J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, or Drake. 5/5
  5. If We Only - Red
    I've liked Red for a while now, but I have to admit that I wasn't impressed with their lead single for their latest album, Release The Panic. Now, a mediocre single is no reason to dismiss an album completely, and while I didn't listen to most of the songs, I recently found this song and had to listen again and again to check that it really was that good. It embodies the heavy nature that Red does so well, with screams woven between clean vocals over hard hitting drums and roaring guitars. This is them at their best, and the chorus for this song might be one of their best to date. It expands beyond where the verses let you think the song can go, and becomes this huge and epic anthem. I was very surprised to find it, and it gives me hope for the rest of the songs on the album. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment