Friday, April 5, 2013

Five Song Friday - April 5th

The weeks keep rolling by, and more music rolls into my life as well! Check out what I was rocking this week.


  1. Skeleton - Conditions
    Conditions has kept my interest since finding them, and I was very excited for their second full-length album, Full Of War (for my full review of the album, click here). This song is one of the many stand out tracks, retaining much of their old sound yet revealing a new maturity and experimentation. The chorus is my favorite part; Brandon Roundtree's vocals are top-notch, with a fantastic range and a perfect amount of grit throughout. The song feels dark without being depressing, something else I love about the band. The bridge is also another spectacular point in the song, because it adds such a nice contrast by bringing down the dynamics and creating a point where it feels as if the world slows for a moment. It's fantastic; go buy it and the rest of the album! 5/5
  2. Vices - Memphis May Fire
    I've been finding more and more songs by Memphis May Fire that I enjoy, this being the latest one. It's got some sweet breakdowns, crunching guitars, thumping drums, and throat-ripping screams. I became even more impressed with the band when I discovered that the lead singer does both the singing and the screaming. It takes a lot of talent to do both well, so my respect for the group increased drastically. I also love the lyrical content; I have not personally had experience with alcohol, which is the vice being discussed, but I love that they made most of it ambiguous enough that people can apply it to whatever is controlling their lives and changing who they are. It's a very uplifting song; especially the chorus and bridge, both of which are my favorite parts. The vocals are so well done and melodically beautiful that I want to listen again and again. Definitely a great buy if you like We Came As Romans, A Day To Remember, and Sleeping With Sirens. 5/5
  3. Lego House - Ed Sheeran
    Ed Sheeran is a musical genius. He is writing catchy hits all over the place, from "The a Team" to "Kiss Me". "Lego House" is another that I thoroughly enjoy. It's calming and gets in your head all day. Ed has such a beautiful voice; combined with his creative instrumentals, he will definitely get far in the music industry. His acoustic guitar work is fantastic, ranging from simple strumming to subtle finger picking. This song is a love song, which appeals to the romantic in me. I love certain lines, like "I'll pick you up when you're gettin' down", "Now I surrender up my heart, and swap it for yours"; both make me smile. Definitely a great choice for the romantics out there. 5/5
  4. Can You Feel My Heart - Bring Me The Horizon
    I only had one other song before Bring Me The Horizon's latest album, Sempiternal, released this week. However, I heard this song before the album came out and fell in love. There's certain songs that I become addicted to, and this fell in that category. The synth line found in the opening and choruses of the song is absolutely epic; that's the only way to describe it. I also like that the vocals are actually more of vocals and less of screaming. They get rough, but it adds to the emotion of the song. This track is a new favorite, especially when I'm running. It drives me with it's energy and intensity. The lyrics are also moving, like the line "I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim". For some reason that particular line has stuck with me. It's a great song, and I recommend it to fans of The Devil Wears Prada and Asking Alexandria. 5/5
  5. Whom Shall I Fear (God of Angel Armies) - Chris Tomlin
    Chris Tomlin never fails to create beautiful music that lifts up God and praises him. This song is no exception, off of his latest album Burning Lights. It starts off slow, but slowly builds up in a way that gives you chills. His lyrics are the best part, so uplifting and empowering. A constant reminder that God is always with us, and His strength backs us up. The chord progressions may be on the more simple side, but Chris has a way of creating beauty out of simplicity. I love the intensity the song achieves at points, like the bridge, but I also love the moments where it is just the vocals and the acoustic guitar. It's those moments that make the song so spectacular. If you're looking for a great worship song, this is a great place to start. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment