Friday, August 17, 2018

Levitate (Single) - twenty one pilots


This track is really something else. 

I was excited and surprised to see another single out so soon for the forthcoming album, Trench, from the boys in twenty one pilots. I wasn’t sure what to expect, given the new direction of the first two songs, but I knew I wanted to hear more of this album that I think is shaping up to be really special.

Whatever I thought I could expect, this was not there.

“Levitate” flows flawlessly from “Jumpsuit”, easing the listener into a place of mystery, if only for a moment, before a kick drum and hi-hat provide a sense of urgency and clarity like coming out of fog and seeing clearly for miles. And coming at you at 100 miles an hour is Tyler’s rapping prowess and lyrical mastery, showcased in such a powerful and jaw-dropping manner. The song is under two and a half minutes, in which Tyler manages to lay down nearly 400 words of rhymes (which is even more impressive considering that he’s only rapping for about a minute and a half). I did the math; that’s an average of nearly three words a second, nonstop. That doesn’t do it justice though, just listing off the math and technical aspect of it. It’s something you have to listen to; hear the way he maintains his flow and energy throughout the track, and I’d be very surprised if you weren’t impressed too.

Lyrically, the song is incredibly intriguing. Just take a look at the first two lines/the beginning of the chorus:

"Oh, I know how to levitate up off my feet
And ever since the 7th grade I learned to fire-breathe"

Levitating? Fire-breathing?

There's a lot to try and digest in this song. I won't even pretend like I know exactly what Tyler is talking about for most of the track. There are a lot of references, double meanings, and metaphors that go just a little over my head. It would seem as though a lot of the lyrics are self-referential, with Tyler struggling with a multitude of things like depression, anxiety, self-worthy, and more. I won't try to pick apart the lyrics - I think it's very much an individual experience for this song in particular. But it's very much worth reading through the lyrics to get a better feel for what he's saying (since he goes pretty fast at points), and you can find them here

What I find so intriguing about this song is it's brevity, intensity, and unique structure. It doesn't follow the typical song structure (which is even something that's referenced within the song - how meta), and further showcases the ingenuity and self-awareness of the band. They seem to have a very sharp awareness of their own popularity and uncommon sound, and the way in which those two qualities usually clash. They know the line they have to walk to balance those aspects of their music is a very, very fine line, but if “Levitate” and the other singles have been any indication, the band is on track to do that with Trench.

Rating: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment