Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Get Better - EP - Citysick

Citysick is an emo/indie band based out of Chico, California. David Hollenbeck, their lead guitarist, was good friends with some of my friends back in high school, and through our mutual acquaintances, I previously reviewed an album by his last band, Dear Misguided, back in 2013. He asked me to check out Citysick's new EP, Get Better, and see what I though of it. Below are my thoughts.

Like I mentioned about, Citysick describe themselves as emo and indie, which are very much evident in the sound they produce. All the songs have a melancholy vibe to them, whether they're slower or more upbeat. The latter makes for an interesting sensation, where the instrumental might be fast, but the vocals and lyrics mellow the overall experience out. "Joyride" is a good example of this notion; especially with lines like "you saw the worst in me, and I think you were right". "Leaning" manages to be more on the upbeat side than down, seeming to revolve around what is clearly an unhealthy relationship/friendship and taking the necessary steps to recognize that, even if the other person involved can't. This song also includes small acoustic guitar parts, which add to the overall warmth that helps the track stand out in it's more positive spin than negative. The bridge/outro is especially great, building from muted guitars and low vocals into both David and main vocalist Kaleb Sievers singing simultaneously in what feels like the most compelling part of the song. The line they continue to repeat the whole section is

"If I'm the worst part of your life, how come you call me every night, so you can say I'm on your mind, and say I'm keeping you alive"

which is probably my favorite lyric of the release in it's revealing nature. 

"Moving Season" is more of an example of a slower song, starting in a way that reminded me of "I've Given Up On You" by Real Friends. David's vocals feel quite vulnerable on this track, playing into the sad/emo vibe. "Cut Short" also ends the EP on a slower and somber tone. Lines like "I'm trying to be brave, but it's hard to be so strong when the ones you love are standing in their graves" give an indication as to the difficulties that have been experienced by those involved in this music. The song ends with a very beautiful sounding vocal harmony over the instrumental before it's all cut short by the guitar abruptly ending and silence finishing out the release.

There is clearly talent here; that is hard to miss. The instrumentals are great, the vocals are great, and the production is high for a band that's still in it's infancy.  However, I found myself struggling to connect to the music as easily as I do with other bands and songs. Some of this might stem from the bands that they like not being a part of the bands I listen to regularly. Bands like The Wonder Years, American Football, and Have Mercy are just a few that they listed as bands they like. While I've heard of those groups and a fair amount of the others on their list, they aren't ones I listen to often or even at all. But part of it is the heavy, sad-feeling that comes across for most of the songs. While I am all for music that conveys sadness and the ways in which humanity struggles with it, I also want to leave that behind at a point and find the redemption, find the hope. Some of these songs do that; after many listens through the EP, "Leaning" began standing out in it's upbeat nature and lyrics that promote self improvement through the discarding of toxic relationships (that's what I got out of it). "Hurricane" also showed a great sense of contrast in sounds and energy. The intro immediately caught my attention, being so strikingly different than the previous songs I had heard with just guitar lines and vocals; a sound that was haunting to be sure. It eventually explodes into an emotionally charged climax, alternating moments of gritty guitars and crashing drums with moments of letting the distortion hang in the air as Sievers almost yells his vocals. It changes yet again as things settle down a bit, and an acoustic guitar and the added vocals of Kelly Corfield create another completely different feel than before; an almost soothing, pretty part. Both of these songs do a great job of displaying what is clearly pain and difficulties while pushing towards the light at the end of the tunnel.

I did enjoy the music; it's just not something I'm going to listen to on repeat. If you like the bands I list below in the "Related" section, then this EP will definitely be for you. They emulate the bands they love very well.

Rating: 3/5

Recommended: "Hurricane (feat. Kelly Corfield)", "Leaning"

Related: American Football, The Wonder Years, Seahaven

No comments:

Post a Comment